Jury selection to start in Zombie Walk crash trial - CBS News 8 - San Diego, CA News Station - KFMB Channel 8

Jury selection to start in Zombie Walk crash trial

Posted: Updated:

SAN DIEGO (CNS) - Jury selection got underway Tuesday for the trial of a deaf motorist accused of driving his car through a crowd watching the "Zombie Walk" parade during the Comic-Con convention, seriously injuring one woman.
   
Matthew Pocci, 47, faces three years in prison if convicted of felony reckless driving causing great bodily injury.
   
Superior Court Judge Amalia Meza handed out jury questionnaires and told prospective jurors to return Monday. Opening statements are expected that same day.
   
A pedicab driver testified during a preliminary hearing earlier this year that Pocci was "super angry" before accelerating and plowing through the crowd on July 26, 2014.
   
Saad Zaalan said the defendant was honking his horn and waving his arms as if he wanted Zaalan to move out of the way as the "Zombie Walk" proceeded through Island and Second avenues. 
   
Zaalan said he tried to explain to Pocci that he would have to wait until the parade-goers passed by and the crowd dissipated, but the defendant rolled up his window.
   
The witness said people from the "Zombie Walk" jumped onto the front end of Pocci's car, then the defendant drove off,striking a woman who suffered a serious arm injury.
   
Deputy District Attorney Anthony Campagna said Pocci -- who had worked at the Comic-Con convention earlier in the day -- came upon several hundred adults, teenagers and children participating in the annual "Zombie Walk" parade about 5 p.m.
   
Campagna said Pocci stopped his car about two to three car lengths behind the parade-goers -- some dressed in Halloween-type costumes -- and turned off the car engine and waited for about 10 minutes before deciding to 
drive through the crowd.
   
Defense attorney Ashby Sorensen said Pocci was "scared and frightened" when people in the crowd surrounded his car and took the action he felt was prudent. Pocci wanted to protect himself, his girlfriend, her sister and his girlfriend's 9-year-old son in the car, Sorensen said.
   
Pocci -- who stayed at the scene -- was not initially cited, but the District Attorney's Office reviewed the case and in February sent the defendant a letter informing him of the charge.

Powered by Frankly
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2017 Midwest Television, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.