Vigil held for little boy killed in house fire - CBS News 8 - San Diego, CA News Station - KFMB Channel 8

Vigil held for little boy killed in house fire

Posted: Updated:

SAN DIEGO (CBS 8) - Through tears and hugs family, friends and neighbors of 12-year-old Fernando Castro, known affectionately as Nano, celebrated a bright young life ended far too soon on Tuesday night. 

A memorial grew outside the home where the 12-year-old boy died and two other small children, who were badly burned in a house fire. 

The fire broke out early Monday morning in a home in Mount Hope, causing $400,000 in damage, according to authorities. 

Nano's father Salvador said the loss is almost too much to bear. 

"I'm just happy that God gave him to me for 12 years. Just knowing that he's in a better place right now, that he's not suffering," said Nano's father. 

Tuesday night's somber vigil, outside the family's destroyed home, was to pray for their recovery as they also mourned Nano's passing.

See related story: [Child killed in Mount Hope house fire

The home on J Street, between Toyne and Denby streets, went up in flames shortly after midnight, with the residents still inside, according to the San Diego Fire-Rescue Department. The fire spread quickly throughout the three bedroom home and attic. 

"I was hearing screaming. Everyone was screaming. We woke up and ran outside and saw the house burning," said Norma Hernandez, a neighbor. 

Firefighters working to extinguish the blaze found a 12-year-old boy dead and two other children severely injured in a back bedroom, according to SDFRD spokesman Lee Swanson. Firefighters carried two children, between five and seven years old, in their arms to an ambulance.

A total of five people were inside the home, including two adults and three children. Swanson said an adult suffered burn injuries and was hospitalized, listed in serious condition. Two firefighters were also hurt. One suffered minor burns to his ears and the other injured a knee, according to the spokesman.

"My husband broke in the windows and he couldn't get inside because the smoke was all around. We couldn't do anything for the kids," said Hernandez. 

The fire was knocked down around 1:20 a.m., a fire dispatcher said.

The cause of the fire is still under investigation, but some neighbors told CBS News 8 that a heater may have sparked the flames. 

Investigators estimated the fire caused about $300,000 in damage to the house and another $100,000 in damage to its contents, but could not immediately determine the cause of the blaze, according to Swanson.

A GoFundMe page has been started to raise money for the family. If you would like to make a dontation, click here

Powered by Frankly
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2018 Midwest Television, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.