Family loses pet in house fire on Christmas - CBS News 8 - San Diego, CA News Station - KFMB Channel 8

Family loses pet in house fire on Christmas

Posted: Updated:

OCEANSIDE (CNS) - Two people escaped harm Friday, but one of their pets was lost, in a fire that started in their garage and gutted their single-family home.

The incident occurred about 10:30 a.m. in the 600 Block of Ann Street, Oceanside Fire Department Battalion Chief Terry Collis said.

"The fire started near the water heater in the garage," Collis said. "Two adults tried to find something to put it out but were unable to, and it spread from the garage into the kitchen."

The battalion chief said the two adults went back into their home to try and find their three cats when about 28 firefighters, mostly from Oceanside Fire Department but also one unit from Vista and another from Camp Pendleton, arrived on the scene.

Collis said an Oceanside Police officer went into the burning dwelling to help the residents find their cats.

"The officer pulled the people out," Collis said. "Firefighters ended up finding three cats. One was dead and the other two were alive."

Collis said it took about 30 minutes to put the fire out. He said the home was severely damaged.

"The bedrooms were the only rooms in the home that weren't burned," Collis said. "Smoke damage was everywhere."

Powered by Frankly
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2017 Midwest Television, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.