In Court: Man suspected in attack on elderly woman - CBS News 8 - San Diego, CA News Station - KFMB Channel 8

In Court: Man suspected in attack on elderly woman

Posted: Updated:
William Sutton, 66, appeared in court for a readiness conference Friday, April 29, 2016. William Sutton, 66, appeared in court for a readiness conference Friday, April 29, 2016.

SAN DIEGO (CBS 8) - An elderly woman’s caretaker appeared in court Friday accused in the attack of an elderly Oceanside woman – an attack that was caught on camera.
      
William Sutton, 66, appeared in court for a readiness conference and faces attempted murder charges for allegedly throwing the 93-year-old woman to the ground. Prosecutors also modified the complaint to charge him with elder abuse that could add to the time he could serve behind bars.

“We'll be entering a plea of not guilty, denying any and all allegations,” said lawyers on behalf of Sutton.

Margaret Wood's family says the District Attorney was considering a plea agreement that could have Sutton serve as few as six years in prison.

Prosecutors wouldn't discuss it or how the new charge could change things, but the family says they oppose any deals.

“Of course we don't want six years. We don't want him getting out where he can hurt anyone else. We just want him to get as much time as we can get him,” said Lisa Wood the victim's granddaughter-in-law.

Wood was returning to her friend's home earlier this month to retrieve her keys and sunglasses when prosecutors say she was attacked by her friend's caretaker William Sutton.

RELATED: Family wants justice after caught-on-video attack

Wood, a once active senior who walked three miles a day, remained hospitalized Friday with serious injuries including a skull fracture.

Her attorney says doctors aren't sure she'll ever leave the hospital.

In court, prosecutors are working to secure her testimony by scheduling a special hearing - something the Sutton's attorney objects to, saying:

“There are concerns that a victim or witness may not be available by trial. Given the age and health condition of the victim.

“The evidence in this case shows a particularly callous individual who really just preyed upon a particularly vulnerable victim,” said Deputy District Attorney, Garret Wong.
If convicted, Sutton could face up to 14 years behind bars. His next court appearance is scheduled for Wednesday, May 4.
 

Powered by Frankly
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2017 Midwest Television, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.