Costco gas leak sends two people to hospital - CBS News 8 - San Diego, CA News Station - KFMB Channel 8

Costco gas leak sends two people to hospital

Posted: Updated:

CHULA VISTA (CNS) - Two people were hospitalized Sunday afternoon when a toxic gas leaked into a Chula Vista Costco store, prompting an evacuation. 

A forklift being driven by a store employee accidentally punctured a pipe containing refrigerant for the store's refrigerators and freezers shortly
after 2:30 p.m., sending a plume of toxic fumes into the building at 895 E. H St., according to Chula Vista Deputy Fire Chief Harry Mun. 

Firefighters evacuated employees and customers from the building, sending them at least 300 feet away and ordered the store to be closed for the
rest of the day. 

Five people were evaluated by paramedics at the scene. The two patients who were sent to a hospital were in a mild status. 

Refrigerant is an irritant that can cause someone who inhales too much of it to become light headed, dizzy or nauseous, according to Mun.

The store is expected to open as scheduled Monday.

Powered by Frankly
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2017 Midwest Television, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.