LONDON (AP) — A British man was sentenced to six years in prison on Monday after being convicted of manslaughter because a customer at his Indian restaurant died of a peanut allergy.
Restaurant owner Mohammed Zaman was found guilty at Teesside Crown Court for his role in bar manager Paul Wilson's death.
Wilson had ordered a chicken tikka masala takeout meal from the 53-year-old Zaman's restaurant in 2014 and told the staff about his allergy to peanuts.
He died shortly after eating the meal at his home when he went into severe anaphylactic shock.
Prosecutors said Zaman replaced almond powder in his recipes with a cheaper mix that included peanuts. They said he was in debt and put profits before customer safety.
Zaman has denied the charges, saying he left managers in charge and wasn't at the restaurant at the time.
Copyright 2016 The Associated Press.
Coming together to celebrate diversity was the message of a block party Friday night in North Park – which took on new meaning after the violence in Virginia.
Laguna Beach in Orange County is gearing up for a large anti-immigration rally this weekend and police are preparing for any trouble that may come out of the “America First” protest set for Sunday.
The brother of a Sinaloa cartel leader has been arrested at an Arizona border crossing, less than a month after his nephew surrendered to U.S. authorities.
A former high school football hero, who joined the marines and died serving our country, was laid to rest at Miramar National Cemetery.
For the first time, Medicare officials have posted online quality scores for some 3,800 hospice providers - including about two dozen in San Diego County.
Escondido police officials said Friday they won't recommend criminal charges against a male physical education teacher at San Pasqual High School being investigated after claims of an inappropriate incident with a female student.
One-hundred-fifty baskets of pink petunias hang from the light posts all over Aberdeen, Washington, watered regularly by residents trying to make their community feel alive again.