CHULA VISTA (CNS) - More than 1,200 participants are expected Sunday morning at the Chula Vista Challenge triathlon at Bayside Park, and city officials warned residents of some road closures that include Interstate 5.
The race includes a dozen courses and events to choose from, including one featuring a 1.2-mile swim in San Diego Bay, a 56-mile bicycle ride and a 13.1-mile run. An international course cuts the swim to 1,000 meters, the bike ride to 28 miles and the run to a 10K.
The city of Chula Vista warned that Interstate 5 will be closed in both directions from 6 a.m. to noon.
Other closures, between 5:30 a.m. and noon:
- G St. between Quay and Marina Parkway in both directions
- Marina Parkway between G and F streets in both directions
-Lagoon Drive between Marina Parkway and Bay Boulevard in both directions
- Southbound Bay Boulevard between F and Stella streets
- Bay Boulevard between Stella and Anita streets in both directions
- Anita Street between Pacific Avenue and West Frontage Road in both directions
- Southbound West Frontage Road between Anita and Main streets
- Eastbound Main Street between West Frontage Road and the Interstate 5 northbound on-ramp
- Eastbound Main Street's No. 2 lane between the Interstate 5 onramp and Broadway
- Beyer Boulevard between Main Street and Coronado Avenue in both directions
- The Bayshore Bike Path will be shut down between J and Palomar streets
Proceeds will benefit the Challenged Athletes Foundation's Operation Rebound, a sports and fitness program for military personnel, veterans and first responders with permanent physical disabilities.
Welcome to CBS 8 and Oggi's Bracket Buster Contest! Make your bracket picks before the start of the tournament and play along to win AWESOME PRIZES courtesy of Oggi's!