SAN DIEGO (CNS) - Local supporters of Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump will hold viewing parties in the San Diego area Monday night as the two major-party presidential candidates square off in the first of three nationally televised debates Monday night.
RELATED: Debate Night: Clinton, Trump set for high-stakes showdown
The 90-minute debate from Hofstra University in Hempstead, New York, begins at 6 p.m. and will be broadcast live on multiple television channels. NBC's Lester Holt will be the moderator.
Most of the viewing parties require a reservation, and some might already be booked to capacity, so it's best to call each specific venue ahead of time, or check its website or Facebook page.
- 5:30 p.m., the San Diego County Democratic Party will hold a presidential debate watch party at its coordinated campaign office, 8334 Clairemont Mesa Blvd. Contact: Francine Busby, event, (858) 277-3367.
- 5:30 p.m., Log Cabin Republicans will hold a debate watching party at Uptown Tavern 1236 University Ave. near Hillcrest.
- 5:30 p.m., San Diego State University is hosting a viewing party in the theater at the Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union. Students will not only be able to watch the candidates square off, but will also have an opportunity to register to vote at the event. Media are invited to attend.
- 5:45 p.m., San Diego City College Political Science and Associated Students Government present Presidential Debate Viewing & Discussion at San Diego City College, room MS- 162, on the corner of 16th & C Streets.
- 6 p.m., University of San Diego watch party. Hahn University Center, Frank's Lounge. 5998 Alcala Park, San Diego. Contact: Casey Dominguez, (619) 260-4600.
- 2:00 p.m. happy hour all day and viewing party at Urban MO's, 308 University Ave. in Hillcrest. Contact: (619) 491-0400.
There are also two debate events at private homes in San Diego that can be found on the Hillary Clinton website under the search engine. They are fund raisers that require registration and a donation to the campaign.
The Trump campaign site did not have a mechanism for searching for local watching parties in the San Diego area, and there was nothing on the San Diego County Republican Party's web site or Facebook page indicating a it was hosting a watch party.
Years of drought and a significant build-up of grass from last winter's rains has created dangerous wildfire conditions in San Diego and surrounding areas of the county, San Diego Fire-Rescue Department Chief Brian Fennessy said Monday.
On Monday, some patients from Rady Children's Hospital had the chance to take a dive with some dolphins at SeaWorld.
Hunter Renfroe hit a three-run home run in his first game back from Triple-A and Austin Hedges also connected for the San Diego Padres, who beat NL wild card leader Arizona 4-2 on Monday night.
San Diego State and students are mourning the loss of a student whose family says died while trying to cross Interstate 8 on foot Saturday night.
Empowering veterans with disabilities to overcome barriers and unleash their potential; that's the goal behind "No Barriers Warriors" and its "Warriors to Summits" expedition.
A South Bay lawyer who joined five other plaintiffs Monday in suing the Trump administration over the decision to phase out the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program said that she's confident Congress will do the right thing, but trusts the courts even more.
A sudden and bizarrely timed blackout near the end of San Diego State's nationally televised football victory over Stanford University on Saturday was the result of operator error, city officials said Monday.
For the first time in more than a decade, America's largest skydiving competition is taking place in Southern California.
Big changes could be in store for Mission Valley as the San Diego City Council is considering major projects at hotel sites in the area.