SAN DIEGO (CNS) - A man accused of shooting his girlfriend in the back in their Lake Murray apartment as she was shielding their baby in her arms and standing near her 5-year-old son pleaded not guilty Tuesday to murder and child abuse charges.
Roderick Lamar Harris, 32, was ordered held on $3 million bail in the Oct. 12 death of 29-year-old Vanessa Bobo.
Deputy District Attorney Lindsey Carinci had asked Judge Frederick Maguire to set bail at $4 million for the defendant, who faces life in prison if convicted.
"I think it sends a message that if you do such a callous and (kind of) heartless crime such as this murder, and you do so in front of two small children, some of your own, that the people are going to be aggressively pursuing high bail, so you don't pose a risk to the community, as well as your own family members,'' the prosecutor said outside court.
Carinci said Harris and Bobo -- who had been in a dating relationship for about four years -- argued before he allegedly shot her just after midnight.
Carinci alleged that Harris retrieved a .357 Magnum and followed the victim into her 5-year-old son's bedroom.
Bobo tried to shield their 11-month-old son from the defendant, but Harris fired two shots, with one striking her in the back, severing her spinal cord and causing her to drop the baby, Carinci said.
Bobo's son from a previous relationship witnessed his mother being killed, the prosecutor said.
Neither child was injured.
Harris fled after the shooting but was arrested in the South Bay about 12 hours later.
The defendant was a security guard and avid shooter, Carinci said.
She said a number of firearms were recovered from the couple's Lake Arrowhead Drive home.
Harris will be back in court Nov. 28 for a status conference. A preliminary hearing was set for Dec. 12.
The sea of pink continued Sunday with 2,200 people marching in the name of breast cancer research funding on the third - and final - day of the Susan G. Komen San Diego 3-Day.
Five people beat to unconscious a 37-year-old man and then took his cell phone at the Horton Plaza in San Diego, a police officer said Sunday.
A non-injury fire Sunday completely destroyed one unit and damaged another in a Rancho Penasquitos apartment complex, displacing two families.
Pancho Segura, who rose from poverty to win six U.S. Pro singles and doubles championships and was one of the world's top amateur players in the 1940s and professionals in the 1950s, has died. He was 96.
A mistaken bump led to a man getting bit and cut with a knife near the Ocean Beach Pier, police said Sunday.
A man died after his body caught fire, police said Saturday. At 11:30 p.m. Friday, police received a call regarding a person on fire in a field near 5200 Pacific Highway in Mission Bay Park, according to the San Diego Police Department.
The San Diego Rescue Mission opened its doors to the homeless community on Saturday for its annual Thanksgiving celebration.