Ex-Power Ranger sentenced to 6 years in fatal stabbing - CBS News 8 - San Diego, CA News Station - KFMB Channel 8

Ex-Power Ranger sentenced to 6 years in fatal stabbing

Posted: Updated:

LOS ANGELES (AP) - A former actor who played one of television's "Power Rangers" was sentenced Thursday to six years in prison for stabbing his roommate to death with a sword two years ago.

Ricardo Medina Jr., who said he acted in self-defense, pleaded guilty earlier this month to voluntary manslaughter.

The former actor was initially charged with first-degree murder in the death of Joshua Sutter.

Medina's attorney, Stanley L. Friedman, said his client agreed to plead to the lesser charge rather than risk a murder conviction and a possible life sentence.

Superior Court Judge Daviann L. Mitchell sentenced Medina after hearing emotional testimony from Sutter's family members who gathered in her Lancaster, California, courtroom.

"Put this killer in general (prison) population so he will see and feel the same fear that Joshua must have felt," the 36-year-old victim's father, Donald Sutter, said in a voice filled with emotion.

Medina stabbed Joshua Sutter to death on Jan. 31, 2015, following an argument in the home the two shared in Green Valley, a mountain town north of Los Angeles.

Friedman said the argument, over Medina's girlfriend, began in the kitchen and that she and Medina fled to his bedroom and locked the door when it became heated. When Sutter broke through the door, Friedman said, Medina stabbed him with a sword he kept in the room.

Medina played the Red Lion Wild Force Ranger on "Power Rangers Wild Force" in 2002. He was the voice of Deker on "Power Rangers Samurai" in 2011 and 2012 and also appeared in such shows as "ER" and "CSI: Miami."

Sutter's father told the judge no one would look at Medina as a celebrity again.

Copyright 2017 The Associated Press.

  • Entertainment NewsEntertainment NewsMore>>

  • Michael Buble shuts down rumors of retirement from music

    Michael Buble shuts down rumors of retirement from music

    Wednesday, October 17 2018 5:28 PM EDT2018-10-17 21:28:30 GMT
    Thursday, October 18 2018 11:29 AM EDT2018-10-18 15:29:06 GMT
    (Michelle Siu/The Canadian Press via AP, File). FILE - In this Tuesday, Oct. 18, 2016 file photo,Canadian singer Michael Buble poses for a photo to promote the upcoming Oct. 21 release of his new album "Nobody But Me" in Toronto. Grammy-winning singer ...(Michelle Siu/The Canadian Press via AP, File). FILE - In this Tuesday, Oct. 18, 2016 file photo,Canadian singer Michael Buble poses for a photo to promote the upcoming Oct. 21 release of his new album "Nobody But Me" in Toronto. Grammy-winning singer ...
    Grammy-winning singer Michael Buble is shutting down rumors that he's going to retire, saying he was misquoted in a recent interview. 
    Grammy-winning singer Michael Buble is shutting down rumors that he's going to retire, saying he was misquoted in a recent interview. 
  • Film of Judy Blume's 'Are You There God?...' in development

    Film of Judy Blume's 'Are You There God?...' in development

    Wednesday, October 17 2018 7:38 PM EDT2018-10-17 23:38:24 GMT
    Thursday, October 18 2018 11:29 AM EDT2018-10-18 15:29:02 GMT
    (AP Photo/Kathy Willens, File). FILE - In this May 31, 2015, photo, author Judy Blume speaks about her new book, "In the Unlikely Event," her first novel for adults in 17 years, at BookCon in New York. “Are You There God? It’s Me, Margaret” and Hollywo...(AP Photo/Kathy Willens, File). FILE - In this May 31, 2015, photo, author Judy Blume speaks about her new book, "In the Unlikely Event," her first novel for adults in 17 years, at BookCon in New York. “Are You There God? It’s Me, Margaret” and Hollywo...
    Film adaptation of Judy Blume's 'Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret' in development. 
    Film adaptation of Judy Blume's 'Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret' in development. 
  • New accusation of police wrongdoing in Weinstein case

    New accusation of police wrongdoing in Weinstein case

    Wednesday, October 17 2018 3:48 PM EDT2018-10-17 19:48:22 GMT
    Thursday, October 18 2018 11:29 AM EDT2018-10-18 15:29:01 GMT
    (AP Photo/Mark Lennihan, File). FILE - In this Oct. 11, 2018 file photo, Harvey Weinstein enters State Supreme Court in New York. New York prosecutors say the former lead police detective in Weinstein's sexual assault investigation urged one of his acc...(AP Photo/Mark Lennihan, File). FILE - In this Oct. 11, 2018 file photo, Harvey Weinstein enters State Supreme Court in New York. New York prosecutors say the former lead police detective in Weinstein's sexual assault investigation urged one of his acc...
    New York prosecutors say the former lead police detective in the Harvey Weinstein sexual assault investigation urged one of his accusers to delete information from her phone before turning it over to prosecutors. 
    New York prosecutors say the former lead police detective in the Harvey Weinstein sexual assault investigation urged one of his accusers to delete information from her phone before turning it over to prosecutors. 
Powered by Frankly
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2018 KFMB-TV. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.