Ron Howard takes helm of Han Solo 'Star Wars' film - CBS News 8 - San Diego, CA News Station - KFMB Channel 8

Ron Howard takes helm of Han Solo 'Star Wars' film

Posted: Updated:
In this April 24, 2017 file photo, filmmaker Ron Howard arrives at the premiere of "Genius", in Los Angeles. In this April 24, 2017 file photo, filmmaker Ron Howard arrives at the premiere of "Genius", in Los Angeles.

NEW YORK (AP) - Ron Howard is taking command of the Han Solo "Star Wars" spinoff after the surprise departure of directors Phil Lord and Christopher Miller.

Lucasfilm announced their replacement director Thursday, two days after Lord and Miller left the project over creative differences. Howard gives the reeling production a veteran hand in the wake of Lord and Miller's exit in the midst of shooting.

Kathleen Kennedy, president of Lucasfilm, said filming will resume July 10. The untitled film, which stars Alden Ehrenreich as a young Han Solo, is about three-quarters of the way through production. It has several weeks of shooting left, along with reshoots.

Howard has shepherded Oscar winners like "A Beautiful Mind" and "Apollo 13." But his recent films, including the "Da Vinci Code" sequel "Inferno" and "In the Heart of the Sea," have struggled at the box office. He also has some history with Lucasfilm. He helmed the 1988 fantasy "Willow" and starred in George Lucas' 1973 breakthrough "American Graffiti."

"We have a wonderful script, an incredible cast and crew, and the absolute commitment to make a great movie," said Kennedy.

Disney reiterated the film's release date of May 25 next year, suggesting that - at least for now - the "Star Wars" spinoff will be released on schedule. Representatives for the studio declined to comment.

How producers and the Directors Guild of America handle the film's directing credit will also be closely watched. DGA rules govern the crediting of directors.

Lord and Miller had previously been considered among Hollywood's most sought-after directors, having turned "The Lego Movie" and "21 Jump Street" into unexpected and widely praised comedy hits. But reports have circulated that the duo, who favor improvisation and irreverent humor, clashed with Kennedy and co-writer Lawrence Kasdan, a "Star Wars" veteran and executive producer.

"Unfortunately, our vision and process weren't aligned with our partners on this project. We normally aren't fans of the phrase 'creative differences' but for once this cliche is true," the directors said earlier in a joint statement. "We are really proud of the amazing and world-class work of our cast and crew."

Copyright 2017 The Associated Press.

  • Entertainment NewsEntertainment NewsMore>>

  • Film starring Kevin Spacey to be released in August

    Film starring Kevin Spacey to be released in August

    Thursday, June 21 2018 12:22 AM EDT2018-06-21 04:22:41 GMT
    (Photo by Evan Agostini/Invision/AP, File). FILE - In this June 11, 2017 file photo, Kevin Spacey arrives at the 71st annual Tony Awards at Radio City Music Hall in New York. Spacey, accused of sexual misconduct or assault by at least 24 men, was erase...(Photo by Evan Agostini/Invision/AP, File). FILE - In this June 11, 2017 file photo, Kevin Spacey arrives at the 71st annual Tony Awards at Radio City Music Hall in New York. Spacey, accused of sexual misconduct or assault by at least 24 men, was erase...
    Kevin Spacey film 'Billionaire Boys Club' to be released in August; was shot before actor accused of sexual misconduct. 
    Kevin Spacey film 'Billionaire Boys Club' to be released in August; was shot before actor accused of sexual misconduct. 
  • The Mouse chases the Fox: Disney makes $71B counteroffer

    The Mouse chases the Fox: Disney makes $71B counteroffer

    Thursday, June 21 2018 2:52 AM EDT2018-06-21 06:52:38 GMT
    The competition for Fox is heating up, as Disney is boosting its offer for the company to $70.3 billion. 
    The competition for Fox is heating up, as Disney is boosting its offer for the company to $70.3 billion. 
  • Burger King says sorry for Russian World Cup pregnancy ad

    Burger King says sorry for Russian World Cup pregnancy ad

    Thursday, June 21 2018 2:44 AM EDT2018-06-21 06:44:27 GMT
    (AP Photo/Gene J. Puskar, File). FILE- This Feb. 1, 2018, file photo shows a Burger King Whopper meal combo at a restaurant in the United States. Burger King says it’s sorry for offering a lifetime supply of Whoppers to Russian women who get pregnant f...(AP Photo/Gene J. Puskar, File). FILE- This Feb. 1, 2018, file photo shows a Burger King Whopper meal combo at a restaurant in the United States. Burger King says it’s sorry for offering a lifetime supply of Whoppers to Russian women who get pregnant f...
    Burger King says it's sorry for an ad in Russia offering a lifetime supply of Whoppers to women who get pregnant from World Cup players. 
    Burger King says it's sorry for an ad in Russia offering a lifetime supply of Whoppers to women who get pregnant from World Cup players. 
Powered by Frankly
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2018 Midwest Television, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.