Small woodshop class fire forces evacuation at Hoover HS - CBS News 8 - San Diego, CA News Station - KFMB Channel 8

Small woodshop class fire forces evacuation at Hoover HS

Posted: Updated:

SAN DIEGO (CNS) - Sparks from an electric saw ignited a fire in a wood- shop ventilation system at Hoover High School Wednesday morning, filling the classroom with smoke and prompting a roughly 45-minute evacuation.

The non-injury blaze at the campus in the 4400 block of El Cajon Boulevard erupted shortly after 11:30 a.m., according to the San Diego Fire-Rescue Department.

Emergency crews cleared students and staff out of the affected room while working to extinguish smoldering wood shavings in a ventilation duct and an air filter that also caught fire, San Diego Unified School District spokeswoman Maureen Magee said.

The blaze caused about $20,000 worth of damage to the involved power-tool ventilation system, Magee said.

No structural damage was reported.

Powered by Frankly
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2017 Midwest Television, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.