'It' sequel will bring back director and young cast, hit theater - CBS News 8 - San Diego, CA News Station - KFMB Channel 8

'It' sequel will bring back director and young cast, hit theaters in 2019

Updated:
© Digital Trends © Digital Trends


By 


Provided by

It’s official: You can’t keep a good clown down.

Pennywise will be back on the big screen for the It sequel in 2019, with director Andy Muschietti and screenwriter Gary Dauberman returning behind the camera.

The second chapter in the two-part horror saga based on Stephen King’s celebrated novel will premiere September 6, 2019, according to an announcement made by New Line Cinema. That puts the sequel in theaters almost exactly two years after the first installment began its record-breaking run.

The studio’s announcement indicates that the young actors from the first film will return for the sequel, although the film is expected to focus on the experiences of the adult versions of their characters. Like its predecessor, the It sequel will also be shown in large-screen IMAX theaters.

Set 27 years after the events of the first film, the sequel brings the “Losers Club” back together when Pennywise returns to torment their Maine hometown once again. Muschietti has hinted that the sequel might not unfold in exactly the same way as King’s original novel, so the movie could hold some surprises for fans of the book.

After premiering in U.S. theaters September 8, It went on to have the biggest opening weekend of all time for a horror movie, as well as for any film released in the month of September. It also had the second-biggest debut of all time for an “R”-rated movie, ranking just behind Deadpool. By its third weekend in theaters, the film had earned $266.3 million domestically, making it the highest-grossing “R”-rated horror movie of all time in U.S. theaters, passing former record-holder The Exorcist ($232.9 million).

Along with bringing back Bill Skarsgård as the terrifying entity known as Pennywise the Dancing Clown, the sequel will feature the return of young cast members from the first film, including Jaeden Lieberher, Jeremy Ray Taylor, Sophia Lillis, Finn Wolfhard, Wyatt Oleff, Chosen Jacobs, Jack Dylan Grazer, and Nicholas Hamilton. The actors playing the adult versions of the first film’s child characters have yet to be announced.

Muschietti previously indicated that the script for the second film will likely be completed by January 2018, with production expected to begin a few months later.

This article was originally posted on Digital Trends

Content provided by
INFORMATIONAL DISCLAIMER The information contained on or provided through this site is intended for general consumer understanding and education only and is not intended to be and is not a substitute for professional financial or accounting advice. Always seek the advice of your accountant or other qualified personal finance advisor for answers to any related questions you may have. Use of this site and any information contained on or provided through this site is at your own risk and any information contained on or provided through this site is provided on an "as is" basis without any representations or warranties.
  • Entertainment NewsEntertainment NewsMore>>

  • Trump calls sketch released by Daniels 'a total con job'

    Trump calls sketch released by Daniels 'a total con job'

    Thursday, April 19 2018 5:57 AM EDT2018-04-19 09:57:52 GMT
    (Michael Avenatti via AP). This artist's drawing released by attorney Michael Avenatti, purports to show the man that the adult film actress Stormy Daniels says threatened her in a Las Vegas parking lot in 2011 to remain quiet about her affair with Pre...(Michael Avenatti via AP). This artist's drawing released by attorney Michael Avenatti, purports to show the man that the adult film actress Stormy Daniels says threatened her in a Las Vegas parking lot in 2011 to remain quiet about her affair with Pre...
    Trump says a porn actress is pulling "a total con job" by promoting an artist's sketch of a man she says threatened her to keep silent. 
    Trump says a porn actress is pulling "a total con job" by promoting an artist's sketch of a man she says threatened her to keep silent. 
  • Ice Cube Had to Bring His Ex-Girlfriend to Prom

    Ice Cube Had to Bring His Ex-Girlfriend to Prom

    Thursday, April 19 2018 2:20 AM EDT2018-04-19 06:20:15 GMT

    Ice Cube recalls his first car, an old Volkswagen bug with a broken gasoline gauge, and recalls the day it ran out of fuel before prom - the same prom he was forced to bring his ex-girlfriend as his date.

     

    Ice Cube recalls his first car, an old Volkswagen bug with a broken gasoline gauge, and recalls the day it ran out of fuel before prom - the same prom he was forced to bring his ex-girlfriend as his date.

     
  • Theron's not leaving the US due to racism but is concerned

    Theron's not leaving the US due to racism but is concerned

    Thursday, April 19 2018 1:44 AM EDT2018-04-19 05:44:32 GMT
    (Photo by Jordan Strauss/Invision/AP, File). FILE - In this March 6, 2018 file photo, Charlize Theron arrives at the Los Angeles premiere of "Gringo" at Regal L.A. Live.   Theron was quoted in an Elle magazine interview published last week saying that ...(Photo by Jordan Strauss/Invision/AP, File). FILE - In this March 6, 2018 file photo, Charlize Theron arrives at the Los Angeles premiere of "Gringo" at Regal L.A. Live. Theron was quoted in an Elle magazine interview published last week saying that ...
    Charlize Theron says she's not leaving the United States over concern about racism and her black children. 
    Charlize Theron says she's not leaving the United States over concern about racism and her black children. 
Powered by Frankly
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2018 Midwest Television, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.