SAN DIEGO (AP) — An immigrant who had been shielded from deportation but was sent back to Mexico has dropped his lawsuit against the Trump administration.
A federal judge in San Diego on Thursday agreed to dismiss the case filed by Juan Manuel Montes.
The suit was taxing for the 23-year-old, who is now living in Mexico, and he asked to drop it. But he stands by the claim that he was wrongly deported, said Marielena Hincapie, executive director of the National Immigration Law Center, which represented Montes.
“His decision to voluntarily dismiss his case does not change that,” she said.
The Department of Justice declined to comment on the case.
Montes’ lawyers say he was the first-known participant in the five-year-old Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program to be deported under President Donald Trump.
The program — which Trump announced last month he was ending — gave work permits and deportation protection to nearly 800,000 immigrants in the country illegally who were brought here as children.
Montes, who came to the United States when he was 9, has a cognitive disability that likely stems from a childhood brain injury, according to his lawyers.
Montes claimed that he was wrongly expelled in February from the United States, but the administration said he left the country voluntarily, causing him to lose his protected status under the program.
Montes said he finished dinner with a friend and was seeking a ride home in the California border town of Calexico when a Border Patrol agent stopped him.
When Montes failed to produce identification, he says agents questioned him and drove him after midnight to the border with orders to walk into neighboring Mexicali, Mexico.
Both sides agree on what happened next: Montes tried to return to the United States the next night by jumping the border fence in Calexico, was caught by Border Patrol agents and deported.
The Department of Homeland Security has said it has no record that authorities deported Montes two nights earlier and insists he crossed into Mexico voluntarily, violating a provision of the program that requires advanced permission to leave the country.
Copyright 2017 The Associated Press.
Weaker Santa Ana winds continue Wednesday, through Thursday. Winds not as strong or widespread but dry gusty flow still creates an elevated fire risk.
There has recently been plenty of buzz over a plant-based drug that users take for recreational and medicinal reasons and it’s not marijuana - it’s Kratom.
A transient who later committed suicide was the killer of a mentally disabled Carlsbad woman whose Valentine's Day slaying went unsolved for nearly a dozen years, authorities announced Tuesday.
Fire crews appeared to make major progress Tuesday on the deadly Woolsey Fire in Los Angeles and Ventura counties, with a series of evacuation orders lifted, but a large flare-up near Westlake Village served as a reminder that the battle was far from over.
Six San Diego school districts will continue to be closed Wednesday due to San Diego Gas & Electric's public safety power shut off.
Firefighters struggled to contain the most deadly and destructive wildfire in California history Tuesday while mobile coroner's teams combed the incinerated remains of a once thriving town and its environs looking for more victims of the carnage.
Through all the devastation, one San Diego woman is making a huge difference by saving lives. Dana Serratore has been risking her own life to save animals from the inferno in and around Malibu.
A first grade class at Saint Mary School in Escondido received new iPad cases and accessories Tuesday thanks to the Larry Himmel Neighborhood Foundation. The school's principal said the tools will help further student engagement in lessons and other education activities on the devices.
A family accused of running phony charities to help wounded vets and rescue abused horses has been ordered to pay nearly $9 million in a California state lawsuit.