USA Gymnastics says directors will resign - CBS News 8 - San Diego, CA News Station - KFMB Channel 8

USA Gymnastics says directors will resign

Posted: Updated:
10/20/17 Michigan State University President Lou Anna Simon speaks during the dedication ceremony for the Gilbert Pavilion and Tom Izzo Hall of History inside Michigan State's Breslin Student Events Center. (AP Photo/Al Goldis, File) 10/20/17 Michigan State University President Lou Anna Simon speaks during the dedication ceremony for the Gilbert Pavilion and Tom Izzo Hall of History inside Michigan State's Breslin Student Events Center. (AP Photo/Al Goldis, File)
FILE - This Sept. 12, 2015, file photo, shows Michigan State athletics director Mark Hollis, at left. This Nov. 9, 2012 file photo, shows Michigan State University President Lou Anna K. Simon, at right.  (AP Photo/Al Goldis, left, Carlos Osorio, right, Fi FILE - This Sept. 12, 2015, file photo, shows Michigan State athletics director Mark Hollis, at left. This Nov. 9, 2012 file photo, shows Michigan State University President Lou Anna K. Simon, at right. (AP Photo/Al Goldis, left, Carlos Osorio, right, Fi

EAST LANSING, Mich. (AP) — Michigan State University's athletic director retired Friday, two days after the university president resigned over the school's handling of sexual abuse allegations against its disgraced former sports doctor, Larry Nassar.

Mark Hollis, who had been in the job for 10 years, disclosed the move during a meeting with a small group of reporters on campus. He was asked why he would not stay on.

"Because I care," Hollis said, holding back tears. "When you look at the scope of everything, that's the reason I made a choice to retire now. And I hope that has a little bit, a little bit, of helping that healing process."

Hours later, the university named its vice president to serve as acting president after the departure of President Lou Anna Simon. Bill Beekman is expected to serve briefly in the role until the board of trustees can hire an interim president and then a permanent leader.

Also Friday, USA Gymnastics confirmed that its entire board of directors would resign as requested by the U.S. Olympic Committee. The USOC had threatened to decertify the organization, which besides picking U.S. national teams is the umbrella organization for hundreds of clubs across the country.

Some of the nation's top gymnasts, including Olympians Aly Raisman, McKayla Maroney, Simone Biles and Jordyn Wieber, said they were among Nassar's victims.

At the university board's meeting, Chairman Brian Breslin said it was "clear that MSU has not been focused enough on the victims." The trustees, he said, want to resume discussions with those who have sued the school to "reach a fair and just conclusion." Talks broke down last year.

The board plans to ask an independent third party to review health and safety at the school, and it wants state Attorney General Bill Schuette to consider appointing a neutral investigator to conduct an inquiry of the Nassar matter "to promote bipartisan acceptance of the results." Schuette, who is running for governor, will further detail his probe in a news conference Saturday.

Trustee Brian Mosallam addressed his remarks toward the victims: "I am so truly sorry. We failed you."

Beekman is vice president and secretary of the board. He began working at the university in 1995 and previously led the MSU Alumni Association. He has an undergraduate degree from MSU.

"I think our culture here at Michigan State clearly needs to improve," he said. "We need to be able to make everybody that comes on our campus feel safe."

Simon submitted her resignation Wednesday after Nassar, a former Michigan State employee, was sentenced to 40 to 175 years in prison for molesting young girls and women under the guise of medical treatment.

Several of the 150-plus victims who spoke at his sentencing hearing were former athletes at the school, and many victims accused the university of mishandling past complaints about Nassar.

"I don't believe that I've ever met him," Hollis said of Nassar. He insisted he did not know about complaints of abuse until an Indianapolis Star report in 2016.

Gov. Rick Snyder said Friday he is mulling an inquiry into the university, depending on whether it would interfere with other investigations such as the attorney general's. Under the state constitution, the governor can remove or suspend public officers for "gross neglect of duty," corruption or "other misfeasance or malfeasance."

"The governor hasn't seen enough done for the survivors after everything they've gone through," spokeswoman Anna Heaton said. "He wants to make sure that something is being done."

U.S. Education Secretary Betsy DeVos confirmed Friday that her agency is also investigating the Nassar scandal. She said in a statement that what happened at the school is "abhorrent" and "cannot happen ever again — there or anywhere."

The Education Department was already reviewing separate complaints about the school's compliance with Title IX, the law that requires public schools to offer equal opportunities to both genders, and compliance with requirements about providing campus crime and security information.

The board expressed support for Simon before her resignation, but she faced pressure from many students, faculty and legislators. While there has been no evidence that Simon or Hollis knew of Nassar's sexual abuse, some of the women and girls who accused him said they complained to university employees as far back as the late 1990s.

Board members, who are elected in statewide votes, have also come under intense scrutiny. Two announced they will not seek re-election. Another, Joel Ferguson, apologized at the meeting for conducting an interview in which he said there was more going on at Michigan State than "this Nassar thing."

The university faces lawsuits from more than 130 victims. Ferguson previously had said victims were ambulance chasers seeking a payday. The school resisted calls for an independent investigation before asking Schuette for a review a week ago.

Students planned a Friday evening march and protest.

In a recent filing, Michigan State asked a judge to dismiss the lawsuits on technical grounds. The school says it has immunity under state law and that the majority of victims were not MSU students at the time of the alleged assaults.

"These arguments can seem disrespectful" to victims, but a defense is required by Michigan State's insurers, Simon wrote last week in a campus-wide email. She added, "We have the utmost respect and sympathy" for victims.

The board last month authorized the creation of a $10 million fund to offer victims counseling and mental health services.

A Title IX probe conducted by the university cleared Nassar of sexual assault allegations in 2014. He was advised by the school to avoid being alone with patients while treating their "sensitive areas," but the school did not follow up on and enforce its request.

At least 12 reported assaults occurred after the investigation ended, according to a university police report that was provided to the FBI for review by the U.S. attorney.

Hollis said he did not know about the 2014 investigation and has told as much to the FBI and campus police.

Former Michigan State rower Cate Hannum, who was treated by Nassar and wrote an open letter criticizing Simon's handling of the case almost a year ago, said Hollis would not be retiring if he had "approached the situation with integrity from the very beginning instead of adopting a not-my-problem attitude."

Now it doesn't matter what Hollis did for MSU athletics, she said, "because he will be remembered for egregiously failing his female athletes."

  • SportsMore>>

  • Spieth part of 3-way tie for British lead as Woods lurks

    Spieth part of 3-way tie for British lead as Woods lurks

    Saturday, July 21 2018 4:10 PM EDT2018-07-21 20:10:41 GMT
    Tiger Woods of the US lines up a putt on the 13th green during the third round of the British Open Golf Championship in Carnoustie, Scotland, Saturday July 21, 2018. (AP Photo/Alastair Grant)Tiger Woods of the US lines up a putt on the 13th green during the third round of the British Open Golf Championship in Carnoustie, Scotland, Saturday July 21, 2018. (AP Photo/Alastair Grant)

    Jordan Spieth set the tone pulling driver on the 396-yard opening hole and sending it bouncing and rolling to 10 feet for eagle. Moments later, Tiger Woods sent the gallery into a frenzy with three straight birdies to get into contention at a major for the first time in five years.

     

    Jordan Spieth set the tone pulling driver on the 396-yard opening hole and sending it bouncing and rolling to 10 feet for eagle. Moments later, Tiger Woods sent the gallery into a frenzy with three straight birdies to get into contention at a major for the first time in five years.

     
  • AP source: Falcons won't offer WR Jones new deal this year

    AP source: Falcons won't offer WR Jones new deal this year

    Thursday, July 19 2018 1:23 PM EDT2018-07-19 17:23:25 GMT
    Friday, July 20 2018 11:19 AM EDT2018-07-20 15:19:12 GMT
    (AP Photo/Chris O'Meara, File). FILE - In this Nov. 26, 2017, file photo, Atlanta Falcons wide receiver Julio Jones walks off the field after an NFL football game between the Falcons and the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, in Atlanta. A person familiar with the ...(AP Photo/Chris O'Meara, File). FILE - In this Nov. 26, 2017, file photo, Atlanta Falcons wide receiver Julio Jones walks off the field after an NFL football game between the Falcons and the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, in Atlanta. A person familiar with the ...
    AP source: Atlanta Falcons won't offer a new contract to star receiver Julio Jones. 
    AP source: Atlanta Falcons won't offer a new contract to star receiver Julio Jones. 
  • Suspect detained in killing of Olympic figure skating star

    Olympic figure skater, medalist Denis Ten dies after stabbing in Kazakhstan

    Thursday, July 19 2018 7:29 PM EDT2018-07-19 23:29:05 GMT
    Jul 20, 2018 2:48 AM2018-07-20 06:48:00 GMT

    Kazakh figure skater and Olympic medalist Denis Ten died Thursday after being stabbed in an attack in the streets of the country's largest city, a top Kazakh official confirmed on social media. He was 25.

     
    Authorities in Kazakhstan said Friday a man has been detained and confessed to killing the Olympic figure skating medalist Denis Ten. 
Powered by Frankly
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2018 Midwest Television, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.