A Nebraska woman suffering with a chronically runny nose for the past two years recently discovered fluid from her brain was leaking out of her nose.
Doctors had dismissed it as allergies whenever she would bring it up. This year, physician assistant Carla Schneider from Nebraska Medicine in Omaha said it was not allergies at all. It was actually a cerebrospinal fluid leak caused by a hole in her skull. Cerebrospinal fluid acts as a protective layer to the brain.
Jackson described her runny nose like "a waterfall," telling ABC affiliate KETV she always kept tissues with her. She also told the station she suffered from chronic headaches. It began after she was in a car crash, when her face hit the dashboard, CNN reports.
Rhinologist Christie Barnes and neurosurgeon Dan Surdell surgically fixed the "potentially dangerous problem" several weeks ago, Nebraska Medicine said in a statement.
If left untreated, the leak could have caused a life-threatening infection.
Brain fluid can also leak out of people's ears, as in the case of Mark Hoffman, who used to wake up with a wet pillow. Hoffman suffered from a cerebrospinal fluid leak, too. He had surgery to correct the leak last year.
These leaks affect at least five out of every 100,000 people each year, Health reports. That number doesn't include leaks caused by trauma, like in the case of Jackson.
A search is underway for two men wanted in connection with an armed robbery at an East Lake home in the 1600 block of Claret Cup Drive late Saturday night.
Rady's Children's Hospital welcomed hundreds of former NICU patients and their families Sunday for a very special annual reunion. The group had the chance to say thank you and catch up with the doctors and nurses who helped care for the newborns.
San Diegans now have to dial 10 digits for all calls - even local calls. As of Saturday, May 19, callers with area codes 619 and 858 have to enter the area code for all calls. Landline callers will have to dial one first, then the area code and phone number.
Several fires that ignited across San Diego County last week are under investigation. One cause being considered is the possibility that the fires were started by homeless people.
Dozens demonstrated on the Del Mar corner of Jimmy Durante Blvd. and Via de la Valle saying gun shows should not be held at the the Del Mar Fairgrounds.
A fire at an apartment in downtown Chula Vista sent two children to a hospital early Saturday morning.
Mesa College will award the first bachelor's degrees in its history during a commencement ceremony today, the college announced.
Sharp Hospital on Friday recognized those who have overcome major medical setbacks to become leaders in the community during the 28th Annual Victories of Spirit celebration.