The latest Internet debate is an audio clip that has everyone scratching their heads in disbelief.
Some people very clearly hear "laurel." Other people are certain it's "yanny."
Both sides are looking at the other like, "are you messing with me?!"
Let's just get to the point. Here's the clip. It was first posted on Reddit a few days ago by user Roland Camry. It's four seconds long. Determine which word you hear.
Help settle an office debate: Do you hear "Laurel" or "Yanny" in this clip? pic.twitter.com/8AtiS2RLN5— Detroit Free Press (@freep) May 15, 2018
We decided to poll our Twitter audience to figure out what it hears. As of about 3:45 p.m. this afternoon, about 60% of our poll respondents say it's "laurel." The other 40% say it's "yanny."
What in the world?! Is this the new blue-or-gold-dress debate?
The results thus far:
So?— Detroit Free Press (@freep) May 15, 2018
The "audio illusion" is leaving the Internet confused, no matter which side. Some are convinced people on the other side are just trolling them.
So what's going on here? Why do some people hear laurel and others hear yanny? Apparently it has to do with the pitch of the audio; yanny is in high pitch, while laurel is in low pitch.
So that would explain it, we suppose. But it's still most certainly "laurel." Feel free to fight about it in the comments.
A search is underway for two men wanted in connection with an armed robbery at an East Lake home in the 1600 block of Claret Cup Drive late Saturday night.
Rady's Children's Hospital welcomed hundreds of former NICU patients and their families Sunday for a very special annual reunion. The group had the chance to say thank you and catch up with the doctors and nurses who helped care for the newborns.
San Diegans now have to dial 10 digits for all calls - even local calls. As of Saturday, May 19, callers with area codes 619 and 858 have to enter the area code for all calls. Landline callers will have to dial one first, then the area code and phone number.
Several fires that ignited across San Diego County last week are under investigation. One cause being considered is the possibility that the fires were started by homeless people.
Dozens demonstrated on the Del Mar corner of Jimmy Durante Blvd. and Via de la Valle saying gun shows should not be held at the the Del Mar Fairgrounds.
A fire at an apartment in downtown Chula Vista sent two children to a hospital early Saturday morning.
Mesa College will award the first bachelor's degrees in its history during a commencement ceremony today, the college announced.
Sharp Hospital on Friday recognized those who have overcome major medical setbacks to become leaders in the community during the 28th Annual Victories of Spirit celebration.