Starbucks hit by racism again: Latino customer says cup had raci - CBS News 8 - San Diego, CA News Station - KFMB Channel 8

Starbucks apologizes to Latino customer for racial slur written on his drink cup

Posted: Updated: May 17, 2018 7:29 PM
Video

A Latino man says that when he received his drink order at a Starbucks coffee store in a Los Angeles suburb, it came with a racial slur written on it.

On a label indicating the customer's name, the word "Beaner" was typed.

The incident comes two weeks ahead of Starbucks' planned meeting of staff at its more than 8,000 U.S. stores to discuss racial profiling and other issues. The all-hands meeting results from fallout over the manager's decision to call police last month after two African-American came to a Starbucks in Philadelphia and didn't buy anything.

In the latest case, the customer, who only identified himself as Pedro, told KNBC-4, the NBC affiliate in Los Angeles that he was buying two drinks at the Starbucks in the Los Angeles suburb of La Cañada Flintridge and saw the derogatory term for a Latino person on both cups.

Pedro said he didn't think it was an accident because the barista had called his name once his order was done, according to the TV station. He declined the offer of a $50 gift card, which he called "insulting," but he's scheduled to meet with Starbucks officials on Thursday.

Starbucks said in an e-mail that company officials met with the customer Thursday morning at one of the local stores and that he accepted their apology.

"This kind of mistake is unacceptable and we will take additional steps to assess what happened here and how our partners can be better," Starbucks said.

On the afternoon of May 29, Starbucks is closing all 8,000-plus of its U.S. company-owned stores and its corporate offices for racial-bias training for its employees.

That company-wide education effort was announced after the national outrage stemming from the arrests of Rashon Nelson and Donte Robinson on April 12 at a downtown Philadelphia restaurant. They were sitting in the coffee shop without ordering anything to eat or drink, because they were waiting to meet a third man for a business meeting. Nelson asked to use the bathroom, but was told restrooms were for paying customers only. A staffer, who is no longer a Starbucks employee, called 911.

The company apologized to Nelson and Robinson for what happened and CEO Kevin Johnson met with the two men. They reached a financial settlement with the Seattle-based chain.

Last week, Starbucks changed its bathroom policy to make restrooms available for people who haven't purchased anything from the restaurant.

  • Local NewsMore>>

  • News 8 viewers help therapeutic horses in Ramona

    News 8 viewers help therapeutic horses in Ramona

    Tuesday, November 20 2018 10:22 PM EST2018-11-21 03:22:10 GMT

    News 8 is happy to share an update on a recent story that will make you smile. Last week we told you about the strong winds that blew away all the sand at the Cornerstone Therapeutic Riding Facility in Ramona.

     

    News 8 is happy to share an update on a recent story that will make you smile. Last week we told you about the strong winds that blew away all the sand at the Cornerstone Therapeutic Riding Facility in Ramona.

     
  • Frustration, chaos as California fire recovery drags on

    List of missing in Northern California wildfire drops below 1,000

    Monday, November 19 2018 12:09 AM EST2018-11-19 05:09:05 GMT
    Nov 20, 2018 7:05 PM2018-11-21 00:05:00 GMT
    Lidia Steineman, who lost her home in the Camp Fire, prays during a vigil for fire victims on Sunday, Nov. 18, 2018, in Chico, Calif. More than 50 people gathered at the memorial for the victims. People hugged and shed tears as Pastor Jesse Kearns recitedLidia Steineman, who lost her home in the Camp Fire, prays during a vigil for fire victims on Sunday, Nov. 18, 2018, in Chico, Calif. More than 50 people gathered at the memorial for the victims. People hugged and shed tears as Pastor Jesse Kearns recited

    With 79 people killed in the nation's deadliest wildfire in at least a century, there are still nearly 700 names on the list of those unaccounted for.

     
    It's been 12 days since Christina Taft started the frantic search for her mother Victoria, who refused to evacuate their Paradise home as flames neared, and six days since she gave authorities a cheek swab to identify remains that are likely her mother's. 
  • Harmony Grove residents sue San Diego County Board

    Harmony Grove residents sue San Diego County Board

    Tuesday, November 20 2018 9:57 PM EST2018-11-21 02:57:21 GMT

    In 1996, a fire swept through the Harmony Grove community in North County, killing one man trapped inside his car. Now, the community is expressing their opposition to a new development project – saying it would create more traffic and increase the time it would take evacuate on a two-lane road.

     

    In 1996, a fire swept through the Harmony Grove community in North County, killing one man trapped inside his car. Now, the community is expressing their opposition to a new development project – saying it would create more traffic and increase the time it would take evacuate on a two-lane road.

     
Powered by Frankly
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2018 KFMB-TV. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.