Ian Long: California Bar Shooting Suspect Identified as a Vetera - CBS News 8 - San Diego, CA News Station - KFMB Channel 8

Ian Long: California Bar Shooting Suspect Identified as a Veteran

Posted: Updated:

The man suspected of opening fire in a crowded California bar has been identified as Ian Long.

Law enforcement sources told ABC News that it appeared Long, who was in his late 20s, used a legally purchased .45-caliber Glock in the massacre at Borderline Bar & Grill in Thousand Oaks Wednesday night.

Long lived close to the bar in question, officials said. He was found dead inside the bar of an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound.

Ventura County Sheriff Geoff Dean said in a press conference Thursday morning that the gunman was a veteran, having served in the U.S. Marine Corps. 

Long used a handgun with an "extended magazine" on it, Dean said. It's unclear whether he reloaded the weapon after initially opening fire. 

"We believe that's the only weapon that was used, was that handgun," Dean said. 

According to the sheriff, the gunman forced his way into the bar after shooting a security guard outside. He then stepped inside and shot more security guards and bar employees just by the door, before firing at the crowd.

"Obviously he had something going on in his head that would cause him to do something like this," Dean said. "Obviously he had some sort of issues."

Dean said it did not appear as though Long was targeting specific people. 

Long had previously been the victim of a battery at another bar three years ago, Dean said.

Twelve people were killed, including Ventura County Sgt. Ron Helus, who died responding to the shooting. 

Authorities said early Thursday that they were still working to determine a motive.

RELATED STORIES

Jewish Nurse on Treating Alleged Synagogue Shooter: 'Love' Is 'Why I Did It'

Maryland Rite Aid Shooter Came Into Work in a 'Bad Mood,' Co-Worker Says

Santa Fe School Shooter Spared the Lives of People He Liked: Police

  • Inside EditionMore>>

  • Canadian Boy With Cerebral Palsy Bullied on Video: 'They Were All Laughing,' Mom Says

    Canadian Boy With Cerebral Palsy Bullied on Video: 'They Were All Laughing,' Mom Says

    Monday, November 12 2018 6:38 PM EST2018-11-12 23:38:30 GMT
    By Deborah Hastings A Canadian boy with cerebral palsy says he was bullied into lying in a cold stream so students could step on him. Videos of his humiliation were shared on social media, where they quickly went viral, said the boy's mother, Terri McEachern. In the footage, teenagers can be heard laughing and calling 14-year-old Brett Corbett a "f***ing little b****." Police and school officials are investigating the incident, which occurred last week outside Glace Bay High School... 
    A Canadian boy with cerebral palsy says he was bullied into lying in a cold stream so students could step on him. 
  • Today on Inside Edition: Families Escape California Wildfires; Celebrities Lose Their Homes

    Today on Inside Edition: Families Escape California Wildfires; Celebrities Lose Their Homes

    Monday, November 12 2018 5:18 PM EST2018-11-12 22:18:02 GMT
    By Inside Edition Staff Deadly, fast-moving wildfires raging across California have forced hundreds of thousands of people to flee from their homes. Harrowing video shows a crying mother and daughter trying to escape in their car as flames lick at the side of the road. Thankfully they managed to escape to safety, and Inside Edition spoke to them about the terrifying ordeal. Celebrities are among those to lose their homes to fire in Southern California, including Gerard Butler and M... 
    Deadly, fast-moving wildfires raging across California have forced hundreds of thousands of people to flee from their homes. 
  • Gas Company Offers Free Thanksgiving Dinner to Residents Affected by Massachusetts Gas Explosions

    Gas Company Offers Free Thanksgiving Dinner to Residents Affected by Massachusetts Gas Explosions

    Monday, November 12 2018 4:58 PM EST2018-11-12 21:58:03 GMT
    By JOHANNA LI The gas company blamed for causing 30,000 people to evacuate their homes in Massachusetts will make sure everyone gets a holiday meal this Thanksgiving. Columbia Gas announced that residents affected by the Merrimack Valley gas explosions in September could reserve their free Thanksgiving dinner on their website. “You deserve to be in your home for Thanksgiving and we understand that our ongoing restoration work is preventing that. Columbia Gas is offering Thanksgivin... 
    The gas company blamed for causing 30,000 people to evacuate their homes in Massachusetts will make sure everyone gets a holiday meal this Thanksgiving. 
Powered by Frankly
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2018 KFMB-TV. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.