SAN DIEGO (CBS 8/CNS) - A Rancho Penasquitos family is out of their home Wednesday, after a fire ripped through their garage attached to their two-story home.

One of the residents parked his car inside the three-car garage attached to 14429 Corte Lampara about 10 p.m. Tuesday and within 10 minutes it was in flames, according to San Diego Fire-Rescue Department spokesman Lee Swanson.

Arriving firefighters had the blaze out in about 10 minutes, and kept it from spreading to the house.

However, a BMW sedan and a Honda Accord were destroyed, Swanson said.

Swanson said the accidental fire caused about $100,000 in damage.

The home's five residents are staying with family members as authorities worked to determine if the home's electrical system was compromised, according to Swanson.