SAN DIEGO (CNS) - A construction crew trying to move a palm tree at a Carmel Valley shopping center Wednesday ruptured a two-inch natural gas line, but no one was hurt.
The mishap was reported at 9:15 a.m. at 12955 El Camino Real, according to the San Diego Fire-Rescue Department.
Maurice Luque of the SDFRD told News 8 that at least seven businesses, including a supermarket, closed up shop voluntarily, but formal evacuations were unnecessary. A breeze helped dissipate the gas as it went into the air, he said.
Fire officials said the leak was capped about two hours later, and the stores began to re-open.