OCEANSIDE (CNS) - An Oceanside man and his dog were displaced after a fire tore through a garage attached to his home early Tuesday.

The fire started for unknown reasons around 2:40 a.m. and briefly threatened the house in the 2200 block of Oceanside Boulevard near Hoover Street before fire crews put it out shortly after 3 a.m., a North County fire dispatcher said.

Firefighters removed a small dog from the home and turned it over to its owner, who returned home as crews were working to get a handle on the blaze, the dispatcher said. The American Red Cross was summoned to assist the homeowner.

No injuries were reported, the dispatcher said.