Jurors will deliberate for a second day in the trial of an off-duty San Diego police officer accused of weapons violations in the shooting and wounding of a woman and her 8-year-old son during an apparent road rage incident.

Prosecutors say Frank White opened fire on Rachel Silva because she cut him off and backed into his car in a parking lot the night of March 15, 2008, at the Old Grove Shopping Center in Oceanside.

White maintains Silva was under the influence of alcohol and methamphetamine, and backed her car into his while his wife was in the vehicle, causing him to fire in self-defense, and that he did not know Silva's son was in the car.

Silva was shot twice in the arm and her son was wounded on his knee.

Silva's blood-alcohol level was measured at .15 percent - nearly double the legal limit -- two hours after she backed her car into White's. She pleaded guilty last year to felony child endangerment and misdemeanor DUI and is scheduled to be sentenced next month.

As deliberations began, one juror reminded Judge Harry Elias that she would be leaving the state on a pre-planned trip if the case was not finished by Thursday. She will be replaced by an alternate juror.

The jury also asked for "read-back" of prior testimony from a police officer.

White is charged with felony gross negligent discharge of a firearm and a misdemeanor count of displaying a firearm in an angry of threatening manner, and faces up to nine years in prison if convicted.

During closing arguments, White's attorney, Rick Pinckard, said White fired his gun when Silva ignored his demands to stop and get out of her car.

But Deputy District Attorney Jeff Dusek said White was not within his rights to empty his gun into Silva's car, even though he was an off duty police officer.

One witness who heard Silva and White yelling before the shooting thought it was a domestic squabble between a husband and wife, Pinckard said.

The entire incident took less than two minutes and the shooting itself took 3 1/2 seconds, according to Pinckard.

Prior to the shooting, Silva was revving her engine, screeching her tires, aiming and maneuvering her vehicle and accelerating and braking at the last moment, putting the Whites in fear, Pinckard said.

"Her conduct is what Frank White was responding to," Pinckard told the jury.

He said Silva assaulting the Whites with her car was no different from somebody lunging at them with a knife.

Pinckard said police officers are not required to retreat because of an "actual and reasonable" belief they're in danger.

"Silva was clearly placing the Whites in immediate fear and apprehension that they were going to be struck," the defense attorney said.

"It worked! They don't know what she's going to do next."

He said that during the traffic incident before the shooting, all Frank White was thinking was to keep moving and maybe Silva would get tired of the skirmish and stop.

"He's trying to avoid a confrontation," Pinckard said. "Where is the unreasonable conduct in any of that? Nothing he does stops her conduct."

White testified that he saw a person "not in her right mind" when he looked at Silva prior to opening fire, and Pinckard said White displayed his gun in a way consistent with "the way he was trained."

But Deputy District Attorney Jeff Dusek said White was not within his rights to empty his gun into Silva's car, even though he was an off duty police officer.

He also reminded the jury that White was on trial, not Silva.

He urged jurors to look at the case against White as being like an older brother and sister who get into a fight.

"And then he says, `she started it,' as an explanation," Dusek said, "but that doesn't mean (White) gets to do what he did."

The prosecutor said White did not show his badge or identify himself as a police officer, and that he could have done several things to diffuse the situation until help arrived.