An elderly woman is recovering Monday after being burned in a fire that destroyed her home in Southcrest.

The fire broke out around 4 p.m. Sunday in the 3900 block of Gamma Street.

The flames raced through the two-story home, trapping the homeowner inside.

The victim is identified as a woman in her late 80s or early 90s. She sustained burns over 40 percent of her body.

It took firefighters about 15 minutes to put the fire out.

Investigators are not sure what started the fire, but they remind homeowners to take a moment to check the batteries in their fire detectors.