SAN DIEGO (CBS 8) - A fast-moving fire ripped through an Oak Park home early Wednesday morning, while neighbors rushed to the aid of those inside the home.

A family of seven was sleeping inside the home located in the 4500 block of Grape Street around 1:00 a.m., when the fire broke out and it was the action of one neighbor that helped them to safety.

Firefighters reported that flames ignited in the rear of a house and quickly spread to the attic. They believe the fire started when lit candles torched some drapes. Four adults and three children made it out after some tense moments.

The mother was rushed to UCSD Medical Center and was treated smoke inhalation.

The fire caused heavy damage to the single family home and a car that was parked in the backyard.

Chris Tiller, a neighbor, said he ran over, banged on their doors and called 911.

"I had to knock on the windows and say there was a fire and yelled to them ‘you got to get out,'” said Tiller.

CBS News 8 spoke to a family friend who said valuable photos and other sentimental items were lost in the fire.

"It's very emotional you can't take these lightly. Everyone is so far ok,” said Kurtrina Mackenzie.

After alerting the family, Tiller safely moved them to his house across the street, while firefighters contained the fire and extinguished hot spots.