SAN DIEGO (CBS 8) - San Diego County hikers are often warned about rattlesnakes, but on Wednesday, hikers were also warned about scorpions.

On Wednesday, a man was hospitalized after being stung by a scorpion on the Viejas Indian Reservation.

The man was working on the reservation when he was stung by a scorpion, and even though, it was just a sting, the response was serious.

Experts with the county said stings vary in severity. Some stings just cause soreness, but others can cause vomiting, and convulsions.

If stung by a scorpion, call a doctor right away.

Joe Alvarez, from LLL Reptiles in Escondido, who has dealt with scorpions for years said they are growing in popularity, and people need to know the risk. Whether a pet or pest, Joe said the public needs to be careful.

"It's aggressive. So it may try and sting you if you try and poke around when you should be," he said.

Joe said scorpions are different, because they are not like your everyday lizard. They are more exotic with that extra creepy factor, he said.