SAN DIEGO (CNS) - A jail inmate who apparently tried to escape from UCSD Medical Center and was shot to death Saturday by a sheriff's deputy has been identified as Anthony Dunton of Spring Valley, according to the County Medical Examiner's Office.

Dunton was fatally shot by a sheriff's deputy in a struggle that started when he slipped out of restraints during a computer tomography scan and started swinging a chain at deputies and a medical technician, authorities said.

The trouble started at Central Jail in downtown San Diego about 9:30 a.m. Saturday, when deputies found the man "unresponsive" in his cell, according to San Diego police Capt. Terry McManus.

When deputies went into the cell, the inmate allegedly attacked them. Deputies used a Taser electroshock weapon on him at least once as several deputies subdued him, police said.

Deputies involved in the struggle at the jail were treated for unspecified minor injuries, police said.

The inmate was taken to the hospital, and deputies loosened his restraints to enable him to undergo a CT scan, police said. About that time, the inmate started swinging a waist chain at two deputies and a hospital employee, police said.

A deputy fired a Taser dart at Dunton and struck him with their batons, police said, but the man was able to stand up and charge at a deputy, who opened fire on him, police said.

Why the man was in jail was not disclosed.

San Diego police were investigating the shooting death, while the sheriff's department was in charge of the jail fight probe.


THIS IS AN UPDATED STORY. For the original story, read below. 


HILLCREST (CNS) - A Central Jail inmate taken to UCSD Medical Center Saturday for tests who had been subdued by guards hours earlier in a jail altercation was shot to death inside the hospital by a sheriff's deputy while attempting to escape, authorities said.

"A 45-year-old prison inmate from Central Jail downtown was brought to UCSD for treatment following a violent fight he'd instigated with deputies," SDPD Capt. Terry McManus said. "He had been restrained inside a CT scan and somehow managed to get out of his restraints."

McManus said the inmate freed himself from his restraints, and "was able to get to his feet and charge one of the deputies using chains swinging them in a circular motion above his head.

"The deputy feared for his life, removed his weapon and fired at the suspect striking him," McManus said.

The inmate was pronounced dead at UCSD's Trauma Center, according to McManus.