SAN DIEGO — In case you didn’t know, this is National Massage Week, definitely a holiday you want to celebrate! Rena Bell, Todd Bell and Miranda Sewell stopped by Morning Extra to share the benefits of massage therapy and to talk a little about what Massage Heights in 4S Ranch is doing to celebrate.
If you are interested in scheduling a massage to help combat the everyday stress of life, click here.
What are some benefits of massage therapy?
- Stress relief: A tense body causes mental stress, and releases the well-known stress hormone, cortisol. Massage therapy can effectively reduce stress and reduce cortisol levels in the body. Stress reduction helps relieve anxiety and improve your mood as well.
- Improved circulation: Because good circulation helps the healing process by delivering oxygen-rich blood to any part of the body in need of repair, massage therapy can effectively promote healing of the muscles.
- Improved range of motion: Poor range of motion can make it difficult to carry out even basic tasks due to stiff muscles, but also unhealthy tendons, ligaments and muscles. Massage therapy can help improve flexibility and strengthen muscles.
- Strengthened immune system: Regular massage therapy sessions have been shown to reduce anxiety, as well as having a direct impact on the immune system. They can improve a person's ability to fight off diseases and stay physically and mentally strong.
- Reduced pain levels: Massage therapy releases endorphins, which help kill pain and promote a sense of well-being by increasing the pleasure hormone, dopamine, as well as the serotonin hormone, which improves mood. For many, massage therapy creates a natural high as it produces mild feelings of euphoria.
Tips for pampering yourself at home?
- To recreate the ambiance of a spa, focus on the color palette and minimalistic design. White, lavender, and light hues of blues and greens, sprinkled with simple plants, create a more serene environment.
- Use essential oils to help alleviate certain ailments: chamomile or lavender to help you relax and eucalyptus for sinuses, for example. Dead sea salt can help with inflammation and swelling.
- Avoid any harsh lighting and choose a relaxing soundtrack without any words.
- Pamper yourself with a plush bathrobe, slippers and towel during your spa day.
- Create your own face mask, which can be done with bananas and avocados. From there, slide into a warm bubble bath, where you can let the face mask dry.
- Try making your own hair mask by mixing together an avocado, half a cup of honey, two tablespoons of olive oil and an egg yolk. Leave it in your hair for at least 30 minutes to strengthen and moisturize your hair and scalp.
- While laying down, apply cold cucumbers to reduce around-the-eye swelling.