SAN DIEGO (CNS) - A motorist who was allegedly speeding when his car struck a woman crossing a San Diego street following a hiking outing with her family pleaded not guilty Tuesday to gross vehicular manslaughter.
Lawrence Joseph Farry, 25, was ordered not to drive while the case was pending, but Judge David Szumowski allowed the defendant to remain out of custody on his own recognizance.
Farry was charged last week in the death of 56-year-old Joan Milazzo, who was struck as she crossed the 14900 block of Camino Del Sur near San Dieguito Road around 9:50 a.m. on Aug. 30.
Deputy District Attorney Chandelle Konstanzer said Milazzo had been hiking with her husband and sister before she was hit. There was no evidence that alcohol was involved in the accident, she said.
The prosecutor said Farry was traveling 81 mph in a 50-mph zone at the time of the collision.
Konstanzer said Farry stayed at the scene after the accident. Milazzo died at a hospital about an hour later.
The victim's husband, Paul, attended the brief court hearing.
Farry -- who has no prior record -- will be back in court Jan. 10 for a readiness conference. A preliminary hearing was set for Jan. 31.