SAN DIEGO (CNS) - Calling it the city's birthday, the Whaley House Museum in Old Town will celebrate the 242nd anniversary Saturday of the dedication of a chapel on Presidio Hill that led to the establishment of the San Diego Mission.
On July 16 in 1769, fathers Junipero Serra, Juan Vizcaino, Fernando Parron, and Francisco Gomez created the outdoor chapel overlooking Mission Valley, and had plans to establish a mission at the site, according to the San Diego History Center.
While they soon replaced the chapel with a small adobe church, Mission San Diego de Alcala ended up being built five years later near the San Diego River in Mission Valley. It was burned down by Kumeyaay Indians in 1775 but rebuilt.
San Diego became a city in 1848.
The celebration in the newly renovated gardens of the museum, will include birthday cake, music and dancing.