SAN MARCOS (CBS 8) - Sheriff's deputies confirmed Tuesday they identified the woman caught on camera stealing packages outside of a San Marcos home.
Just one day after the surveillance video was released, the Sheriff's Department confirmed the case had been solved and is now in the district attorney's office. The Sheriff's Department is withholding the name of the suspect.
Surveillance video taken in March showed the woman knock on the door of a home in the 2500 block of Corbel Way and then try to hide her face with a piece of paper. Then, the woman walks off with two large boxes, which were worth about $100.
The San Diego County Sheriff's Department offers the following tips when ordering from online retailers:
• Choose a shipping option so you can sign for delivery. Request friends and relatives sending you a package to do the same and ask for a tracking number.
• Keep an eye on the package's delivery status. Sign up for email or text alerts.
• Ship the package to another location such as your office if you won't be home to receive it.
• Leave special instructions on where to deliver packages (behind bushes, side or back patio, etc.).
• Choose delivery pickup.
• Insure your packages
• Get to know your carriers.
• Be a good neighbor. Look out for each other.
• Report suspicious activity or vehicles to the Sheriff's Department. Call (858) 565-5200.
It is a federal offense to steal mail or packages delivered by the United States Postal Service (USPS). These investigations are handled by the United States Postal Inspection Service.