SAN DIEGO (CNS / CBS 8) - A convicted Montana child molester was charged Monday with failing to register as a sex offender after moving to San Diego.
Christopher Earl Dustrude, 25, was arrested over the weekend after coming to San Diego from Las Vegas, authorities said. Authorities also added that he faked a disability in an effort to gain access to children.
Monday, U.S. Magistrate Judge Anthony Battaglia informed the defendant of the charge and set a preliminary hearing for Feb. 17.
Battaglia also ordered Dustrude held without bail until a detention hearing Thursday.
Assistant U.S. Attorney Alessandra Serano alleged the defendant was a flight risk and a danger to the community.
Dustrude pleaded guilty in 2004 to sexually assaulting two family members, a 7-year-old boy and a 9-year-old girl in Montana, authorities said.
The defendant was placed on probation and ordered to register as a sex offender, said Deputy Cascade County Attorney Kory Larsen.
Last year, Dustrude was re-arrested after failing to notify authorities that he had moved, Larsen said. While awaiting sentencing for the offense, he left Montana for Nevada, where social welfare workers put him on a bus headed for San Diego County, according to authorities.