OCEANSIDE, Calif. (AP) - The California Department of Social Services will investigate the death of a 3-year-old boy at an Oceanside preschool.

At a news conference Wednesday, the boy's mother said she doesn't blame the school for her son's death.

The San Diego County medical examiner says Tyler Howell of Oceanside died Monday of accidental asphyxiation after choking on a push-pin at Montessori School.

Department of Social Services spokesman Oscar Ramirez told the North County Times the agency always looks into major incidents at licensed childcare facilities.

Ramirez said the school has been licensed since 1999 and can care for 125 children.

He says the school's been cited for some physical plant violations, but its license has never been suspended or revoked, no employees have been banned and no fines have been imposed.


This is a story update. The previous video story is below.


CBS 8) – It's a devastating loss for a North County couple. Their three-year-old died after choking on a pushpin at his Oceanside preschool.

Tyler Howell's teacher told authorities he made a gasping sound, grabbed his neck and became unresponsive.

This News 8 video report has more on the details of the little boy's death.