SAN DIEGO (NEWS 8) — November 14 is World Diabetes Day and this year the focus is women and diabetes.
Dr. Timothy Bailey with the AMCR Institute visited Morning Extra to talk about the disease and a local event for WDD.
Here are some statistics from World Diabetes Day on women and diabetes:
- WDD is the world’s largest diabetes awareness campaign reaching a global audience of over 1 billion people in more than 160 countries
- 1 in 10 women are living with diabetes
- 1 in 7 births is affected by gestational diabetes
- Approximately half of women with a history of gestational diabetes go on to develop type 2 diabetes within 5 to ten years after delivery.
- Diabetes is a leading cause of death among women
Learn more in the WDD video below:
Click here to view this video on YouTube.