SAN DIEGO (NEWS 8) - Thousands of bike riders throughout the San Diego region hit the streets Thursday for Bike to Work Day.
SANDAG has organized Bike to Work Day for more than 20 years.
Registered Bike to Work Day participants were greeted by volunteers at 100 pit stops in the region, where they received a free t-shirt, refreshments, snacks, and encouragement.
Various stops offered extra incentives such as free bike repairs, bike tune-ups, and breakfast.
A Ride Home Rally will be held at San Diego Concourse at 3:30 p.m., where cyclists will find everything they need to recharge and make their way back home.
Bike to Work Day pit stops of interest:
- Qualcomm: 5717 Pacific Center Blvd., located at the northwest corner of Lusk Boulevard and Pacific Center Boulevard, Sorrento Valley.
- San Diego Zoo and City of San Diego – Therapeutic Recreation Services: In the parking lot by the Balboa Park Carousel, just off Zoo Place and Park Boulevard.
- SportRx: 5076 Santa Fe Street, Suite A, San Diego.
- Think Blue, Cardamom Café & Bakery, North Park Main Street, and SANDAG GO by BIKE: 2977 Upas Street, San Diego
- UC San Diego: Town Square Plaza on campus, one block north of Gilman Drive, near the intersection of Myers Drive and Rupertus Lane, La Jolla
- U.S. Coast Guard San Diego: 2710 North Harbor Drive, San Diego
- City of Carlsbad: Located at Frazee Beach, at the intersection of Carlsbad Boulevard and Pine Avenue, Carlsbad.
- City of Vista, Haro Bike & Alpha Bike: 200 Civic Center Dr., Vista, in the parking lot at the southeast corner of Civic Center Drive and Alta Vista Drive, Vista.
- City of Chula Vista, Living Coast Discovery Center, and UTC Aerospace: At the corner of E Street and Bay Boulevard next to the Bayshore Bikeway
- San Ysidro Chamber of Commerce & SANDAG GO by BIKE: Located at the San Ysidro Trolley Station, 723 East San Ysidro Blvd., San Ysidro. (Alianza por la Movilidad Activita will have a pit stop on the Mexican side of the border for those who bike across the PedWest entry.)
- Grossmont College: Grossmont College Drive, El Cajon, on the corner of the existing bike path near the southbound State Route 125 on-ramp, just outside of campus.
View SANDAG iCommute pit stop map for regional pit stop locations.