SAN DIEGO (CNS) - Power outages across northern and central San Diego County left more than 7,000 homes and businesses temporarily without power Thursday.

The first blackout hit shortly before 6 a.m., leaving 2,109 addresses in the dark in Carlsbad and San Marcos, according to San Diego Gas & Electric.

A second outage struck about 7:15 a.m., affecting 1,859 SDG&E customers in Rancho Bernardo, Rancho Penasquitos and San Pasqual, the utility reported.

As of 10:30 a.m., power had been restored to all but 366 customers affected by the first outage and 595 customers from the second one, SDG&E spokeswoman Sara Prince said.

A third blackout was reported just after 9 a.m., knocking out power to 3,134 addresses in Clairemont and Kearny Mesa. Repair crews had those customers back on line within roughly an hour.

As of late afternoon, a total of 619 addresses affected by the first two outages remained without service. They were expected to have power again by early evening, according to SDG&E.

All of the service failures were caused by equipment malfunctions, Prince said.