SAN DIEGO (CBS 8/CNS) - Students and staffers at Torrey Pines High School began their week Monday under a pall of grief and sorrow over the death of a suicidal student who was shot by police when he pointed a BB pistol during a Saturday predawn confrontation at the campus.

[RELATED: San Diego police say teen killed by officers after pointing BB gun at them left suicide note]

Counselors and psychologists were called to the Carmel Valley school to offer support and guidance to anyone needing help in coping with the traumatic death of the 15-year-old youth, who was enrolled at the campus.

A makeshift memorial commemorated the loss with cards and flowers at the shooting site, and some students wore yellow to their classes as a means of promoting suicide awareness.

During the boy's autopsy, investigators found a suicide note in his jacket pocket, according to San Diego police.

"The note indicates the (boy) planned the incident that resulted in his death," SDPD Lt. Mike Holden said.

Officers were sent to the Del Mar Heights Road campus about 3:30 a.m. Saturday in a response to a request to check on the welfare of a 15-year-old boy.

Arriving at the school, Officers Gilbert Flores and Kai Johnson spotted the teen in a parking lot in front of the school. As they approached, he pulled what appeared to be a firearm from his waistband and pointed it at one of them, ignoring orders to drop the weapon, Holden said.

As he began to advance on one of the lawmen, both of them opened fire. Medics took the teen to a hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

Following the shooting, investigators determined that the boy had been wielding a BB pistol and that he had made the call that brought officers to the school.

[RELATED: Torrey Pines H.S. student armed with BB gun killed by police]

Flores, a 28-year veteran of the San Diego Police Department, and Johnson, who has been with the SDPD for four years, have been placed on desk duty pending completion of investigations in the case.

On the school's Facebook page, Principal Rob Coppo wrote that the aftermath of the boy's death "will be challenging for us all."

"As a community, we will need to support each other and unite as a ... family," Coppo stated.

In a statement released this morning, the boy's mother said her family was "mourning the loss of a loving and wonderful young man. We ask that you respect our privacy as we remember him and all he meant to us."

The boy's peers described him to reporters as a kind and caring person.