The video above contains graphic material. Viewer discretion advised. 

CAMP PENDLETON, Calif. (AP) - A man who claimed to have a gun was unarmed when he was shot by authorities during an hour-long standoff near the Camp Pendleton Marine base.

The San Diego County Sheriff's Department says no gun was found on Daniel Robert Avila or in his car following Tuesday's shooting.

Authorities say the 55-year-old Vista man pulled his car to the side of Interstate 5, claimed to have a gun and threatened to kill a sheriff's deputy at the scene and then himself.

Backup deputies and Border Patrol agents were called.

Authorities say the man was shot when he eventually got out of the car with his hand concealed in a T-shirt and pointed it at law enforcement officers.

This is a story update. The previous story is below.

SAN DIEGO (CBS 8) - A male suspect who claimed he was armed was fatally shot by Orange County sheriff's deputies and two Border Patrol agents Tuesday following a standoff in the Camp Pendleton area of San Diego County, authorities reported.

The man was holed up in a car and refused to surrender for nearly an hour before getting out and approaching them in a threatening manner, deputies said.

The incident began about 12:30 p.m. when an Orange County sheriff's deputy pulled a driver over on I-5 South near the Las Pulgas Road exit. While the deputy was talking with the driver, a suspect in a white car pulled up alongside the deputy and the driver. 

"The suspect stated that he had committed a crime and that he was armed," said CHP Officer Chris Parent.

Following the suspect’s alleged statement, deputies and other law enforcement officers surrounded the suspect's vehicle and ordered him to surrender. The suspect refused, and the standoff continued until shortly after 1:30 p.m. when the suspect exited his vehicle.

The exclusive video obtained by CBS News 8 shows the suspect get out of his car, then hold his right arm perpendicular to his body with a jacket or other  dark-colored piece of cloth covering his hand and stride off, out of sight behind parked law enforcement vehicles. A moment later, a fusillade of gunfire  sounds.

Officers and emergency personnel performed CPR on the suspect but he died at the scene.

The name of the suspect has not been released, but investigators did say he was a 55-year-old man who lived in Vista.