Timeline emerges in Marine wife's mysterious disappearance near - San Diego, California News Station - KFMB Channel 8 - cbs8.com

Timeline emerges in Marine wife's mysterious disappearance near Joshua Tree

Posted: Updated:
TWENTYNINE PALMS, Calif.  (CBS 8) - More information is being revealed about the timeline surrounding the disappearance of a pregnant Marine wife missing from a military base in Twentynine Palms near Joshua Tree National Park.

It’s been 10 days since Erin Corwin was supposed to return home to her husband at Marine Corps Air Ground Combat Center.

CBS News 8 reviewed sheriff scanner traffic recorded on the morning the 19-year-old went missing:

Scanner Traffic Audio - Sunday, June 29, 8:30 a.m.:

In dispatch radio traffic recorded at approximately 8:30 a.m. on Sunday, June 29, an unidentified deputy in the field is in communication with his sergeant.

“Hey Sarge, I made contact with the RP (reporting party) over the phone. He says his wife left yesterday around 0700 and was supposed to return 1600,” the deputy reported. “She has no family. They’re from Tennessee. She’s less than two months pregnant.”

Investigators now say Corwin is three months pregnant.

At the time of the recording, Corwin had been missing for 16 hours. The deputy had just gotten off the phone with the pregnant woman’s husband, U.S. Marine Corporal Jonathan Corwin.

The husband did not provide the deputy with a description of the clothing his wife was wearing when she disappeared, according to the radio audio.

Conway reportedly left her home on the Twentynine Palms Marine base that Saturday morning and failed to return Saturday afternoon.

The husband reported his wife had gone to nearby Joshua Tree National Park to scope out locations to visit with her mother, Lore Heavilin, who was planning on flying in from her home in Tennessee.

The family was also planning trip to San Diego.

"We were going to see Sea World and the San Diego Zoo and if you knew how much of an animal lover (Erin) is, you would know how excited she was about that trip,” said Heavilin in a recent CNN interview.

At the time of the June 29 call, the deputy on the radio is already driving into Joshua Tree National Park to look for the young mother-to-be; but he is called off by his sergeant in favor of a much larger search effort.

“Okay, well, we have a myriad of park rangers and search & rescue volunteers for the national park that can go do what you're attempting to do; so come on back out of there and as soon as you get cell service give me a call,” the unidentified sergeant instructs the deputy.

On Monday, June 30, deputies located the missing wife’s 2013 Toyota Corolla just a couple blocks from the Marine base but more than eight miles from the Joshua Tree park entrance, her reported destination.

Based on the sheriff dispatch recordings, a timeline of Corwin’s disappearance emerges as follows:

Saturday, June 28 @ 0700:  Wife leaves home at Marine base
Saturday, June 28 @1600: Corwin fails to return home to base
Sunday, June 29 @ 0830: Husband speaks with deputy on phone
Monday, June 30:  Corwin’s vehicle found near Marine base, miles away from Joshua Tree

Erin Corwin’s family has launched a Facebook page to bring attention to her disappearance and her mother is now following the search efforts at Twentynine Palms.  The family also is accepting donations through a Gofundme page.

“It just doesn't seem real. I'm cooking in her kitchen and she's not there right now,” said the missing teen’s mother.

Even though the Marine wife's vehicle was found outside the park, search & rescue teams continue to focus their efforts inside Joshua Tree National Park.

Entrances to the park are equipped with multiple surveillance cameras.  Reached by telephone Tuesday, a Joshua Tree chief ranger declined to comment on whether Corwin had been spotted entering or exiting the park on surveillance.

The ranger referred all questions to the San Bernardino County Sheriff’s Department.

The San Bernardino County Sheriff’s Department did not respond to a voice mail message seeking comment on the case. It has been two days since sheriff's investigators have posted an update on their search.

No suspects have been named but investigators said the circumstances of the Corwin's disappearance appear suspicious.

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and Midwest Television, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.