Teen attacked by shark in Encinitas expected to recover | Beach - CBS News 8 - San Diego, CA News Station - KFMB Channel 8

Teen attacked by shark in Encinitas expected to recover | Beach area reopened

Posted: Updated:

ENCINITAS (NEWS 8) — A teen boy who was attacked by a shark while diving for lobsters in Leucadia on Saturday is expected to make a full recovery, according to hospital representatives.

An 11-foot shark attacked a 13-year-old, while he was lobster diving, at Beacon's Beach in Leucadia at 6:55 a.m. Saturday. This prompted authorities to close the beach area for 48 hours and as of Monday at 7:00 a.m. the beach was reopened.

In addition to the beach closure, lifeguards remained on the lookout for other possible shark sightings throughout the weekend.

News conference from Monday afternoon with mother of Encinitas shark attack victim and Rady Children's Dr. Tim Fairbanks doctor giving update on teen's condition.

Click here to view YouTube.

"This is the first time in my career of 30 years that I have seen an attack,” said Encinitas Lifeguard Captain Larry Giles. "We're actively having guards coming down onto the beach and into the water to let people know that we had a non-fatal shark attack and we're advising them to stay out of the water.”

Capt. Giles was scuba diving in the water nearby when the shark attacked.

RELATED: Shark expert helping with investigation after Encinitas attack

A team of emergency crews came to the boy's rescue after three good Samaritan's saved the day.

“He's swimming towards us and [there’s] probably 10 feet of blood behind him,” said Chad Hammel. “He's in a panic and flops on my kayak and his whole clavicle and back is exposed, blood coming out, filling up the kayak.”

News conference held Monday in Encinitas regarding Saturday's shark attack.

Click here to view YouTube.

Hammel was along with an off-duty Oceanside police officer and off-duty state park lifeguard helped get the teen safely to shore.

"Sure enough, I look back and the shark is following,” said Hammel.

RELATED: Man who helped rescue shark attack victim heard him screaming for help

Since the attack, lifeguards have closed the beach from Swami’s Beach all the way to Ponto Beach.

"We have not had any reports of any shark activity since the incident yesterday,” said Giles.

Lifeguards said thieves stole nearly 30 shark warning signs that had been posted in the sand.

"We had a few people stealing them in broad daylight and grabbing them and taking off with them,” said Giles.

Drone operator Scott Silveira worked Sunday to get clear images of the water with his drone hoping he would spot the shark.

"I put on my actor track on my drone, where I can follow the lifeguard on the jet ski,” said Silveira. "A shark is out there that big - 11-feet - that's pretty spooky."

Surfer Jim Appel said he is grateful he didn't get in the water Saturday morning.

"Yesterday, luckily, I did not paddle out,” said Appel. "I saw a shark one year ago right here, same area, early morning, fin popping up.’

While the teen victim's name has not been officially released, a Gofundme page has been setup for him.

RELATED COVERAGE

Powered by Frankly
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2018 KFMB-TV. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.