New Chargers stadium to be built in Mission Valley - CBS News 8 - San Diego, CA News Station - KFMB Channel 8

New Chargers stadium to be built in Mission Valley

Posted: Updated:
  • RelatedMore>>

  • Advisory group chooses Qualcomm site for new stadium

    Advisory group chooses Qualcomm site for new stadium

    Thursday, March 12 2015 9:50 AM EDT2015-03-12 13:50:16 GMT
    The stadium task force will formally announce Thursday that it has selected Mission Valley as the home of a new $1 billion stadium. Also Thursday, organizers of a proposed Chargers-Raiders stadium in Carson will kick off a petition drive. 
    The stadium task force will formally announce Thursday that it has selected Mission Valley as the home of a new $1 billion stadium. Also Thursday, organizers of a proposed Chargers-Raiders stadium in Carson will kick off a petition drive. 
SAN DIEGO (CNS) - San Diego's football stadium advisory group has formally announced that it has chosen Mission Valley as the site for the proposed $1.049 billion stadium. A financing plan is expected to be presented to Mayor Kevin Faulconer in May.

The decision to build a new stadium for the Chargers, San Diego State, the two college bowl games and various special events at the site of Qualcomm Stadium was reached unanimously at a meeting Tuesday night.

"(The group) has selected the Mission Valley site for a new multi-use stadium for a series of reasons, including cost savings, developable land and transportation options," said Tony Manolatos, a spokesman for the Citizens Stadium Advisory Group that was appointed by Mayor Kevin Faulconer.

"Recent events in Los Angeles, including the Chargers' plans to build a joint stadium with the Oakland Raiders in Carson, mean any plan to keep the Chargers in San Diego needs to be developed expeditiously," Manolatos said.

Siting the new stadium was expected to be the easier of the two decisions the task force needs to make. The alternative was a location east of Petco Park that wouldn't have been available for at least five years because it's the site of a bus maintenance yard.

Much harder will be the group's other task, which is coming up with a way to pay for construction of a facility that will cost more than $1 billion just for the stadium itself, and not including expenses like the demolition of Qualcomm Stadium, according to a report to the mayor's office from consultant Rider Levett Buchnall.

The group -- made up of real estate, land use and financial experts -- is said to be considering a variety of monetary sources that can be packaged together. The financing plan is expected to be announced sometime in May.

The consultant report found that a joint-use facility -- a football stadium in the East Village that could double as a convention center overflow area -- would cost $1.365 billion.

Mark Fabiani, the Chargers special counsel on stadium issues, declined to comment.

Faulconer issued a statement thanking the committee for moving so quickly to select a site.

"The Mission Valley site has been home to the Chargers for nearly 50 years and I know we can make it work for decades to come," Faulconer said. "Now that they've recommended a site, I look forward to the group continuing to move expeditiously on developing a fair and responsible financing plan for a new stadium."

Councilman Scott Sherman, who represents Mission Valley, applauded the decision.

"The Citizens Stadium Advisory Group has gone through the data, reviewed numerous detailed plans, received input from experts and came to the only reasonable conclusion," Sherman said. "The Mission Valley site is the best option for Chargers fans, the City, and most importantly the taxpayers."

Todd Gloria, the councilman for downtown, said investing in his district "is always a smart move," but he would support keeping the stadium in Mission Valley if that's what it takes to keep the Chargers in San Diego.

Chargers executives said last month that they're looking at jointly building a stadium with the Oakland Raiders in the Los Angeles suburb of Carson, in case the two teams can't get new homes in their respective cities.

Backers of the proposed 72,000-seat stadium near the San Diego (405) Freeway in Carson will begin a petition drive today in hopes of expediting the project by putting it on the ballot or getting immediate approval from the City Council.

With enough petition signatures, the project will go directly to the Carson City Council, which can either approve the project outright or place the issue on the ballot. The initiative process allows the project to avoid lengthy and expensive environmental reviews.

The group needs to collect 8,041 valid signatures from registered voters in the city to get the project before the council.

CORRECTION: A Thursday evening 5 P.M. broadcast misidentified Jesse Arroyo of Save The Bolts with another man, Sean Farrell.

Powered by Frankly
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2017 Midwest Television, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.