SAN DIEGO — Below are the links mentioned recently on CBS 8 and The CW San Diego that can provide help for our community or ways that you can help others in our community. If you do not see the link you are looking for, check the most recent local news stories page.
- Wednesday, May 18 | 5:30 a.m. - Noon
- 3550 Murphy Canyon Dr., San Diego 92123
- Donate non-perishable food items at the no-contact food drive in the parking lot of Murphy Canyon Von’s
- The government website -- covidtests.gov -- for people to request free COVID-19 at-home tests from the U.S. government is now accepting a third round of orders
- U.S. households can request an additional eight free at-home tests to be shipped by the U.S. Postal Service
- People who have difficulty getting online or need help placing an order can call 1-800-232-0233 for assistance
Special San Diego Staycation Deals for CBS 8 Viewers | 8 Local Resorts are offering CBS 8 viewers discounts and deals
CBS 8 is Working for You! Specifically, we are working for your wallet. With airfare, gas and hotel costs continuing to climb, perhaps a staycation is exactly what you need right now. Bartell Hotels is offering special deals and discounts just for CBS 8 viewers. The company has 8 properties to choose from including:
- Sheraton La Jolla
- Pacific Terrace
- The Dana on Mission Bay
- Humphreys Half Moon Inn
- Best Western PLUS Island Palms
- Holiday Inn Bayside
- Hilton Harbor Island
- Days Inn Hotel Circle
Each resort offers a different deal. You have until May 31st to book before the prices climb again. To view the San Diego Staycation Specials, CLICK HERE.
- Learn how President Biden is reducing the cost of high-speed internet and find out if you qualify to sign up.
Register or donate today! | Red Shoe Day is back in person! June 2, 2022
Mental Health Awareness Month
- Saturday, May 14, 2022 | 5:30 p.m. – 11:00 p.m. | The US Grant
- Feeding San Diego welcomes troops to volunteer to earn their badge during April, Earth Month
- Provides early warning before an earthquake and lets you plan for the unexpected.
Escondido Creek Watershed
- Help family displaced after a fire destroyed a home early Tuesday morning
How you can donate and help Ukraine:
- Charity Navigator: The world's largest and most trusted nonprofit evaluator
- House of Ukraine museum in Balboa Park
- Kids for Peace -- Love for Ukraine
- GoFundMe -- Funds for Dog Evacuation
- Greater Good Charities: Support our emergency response to provide hot meals and supplies for families and pets in their time of need.
- International Fund for Animal Welfare-- Supporting refugees, pets, animals shelters and rescues.
- This recall only affects a very limited number, 9,353 cases, of SKIPPY® Reduced Fat Peanut Butter Spread and SKIPPY® Creamy Peanut Butter Blended with Plant Protein.
Blood centers have declared a blood shortage a national emergency
Interpreters Unlimited: A San Diego based language service company is offering free interpreters and translators to Ukrainian refugees in the U.S. They are also seeking interpreters or translators who can offer their services.
Build a School Foundation: A nonprofit that provides educational opportunities for poor children of the world by funding classroom constructions, school-related infrastructures, teaching and learning equipment, “need-based” scholarships and basic healthcare needs.
- Interactive Map to search for the lowest prices
- Tips on how to create a WaterSmart home and garden
- Vote for your favorite animals in the SD Humane Society brackets
- "Love for Ukraine" Campaign
- Send a 5-second video message and make donations to help Ukrainian refugees in Poland.
PALS4PALS: Pen pal program with people living with ALS.
The program was started by a Torrey Pines High School Junior whose aunt has been living with ALS for years. He's been an advocate for his aunt and volunteer with the ALS Association Greater San Diego Chapter
- School For Creative Careers is a non-profit enrichment experience that gives students of all ages hands-on experience with state-of-the-art technology in the entertainment industry.
- The Careers in Education Job Fair on April 9, 2022 will connect school districts and charter schools with job seekers to fill a variety of openings across the county.
Women's History Month: celebrating women in the brewing industry by sipping on Velvet Boots at Second Chance Beer Company to raise money for Pink Boots Society, a women-led organization that empowers career advancements for women in the beverage industry.
Find the cheapest gas in San Diego
- The Commissioner is inviting the public to testify during a public hearing on April 13 about his proposed rules that would require home insurance companies to offer discounts for fire mitigation.
- For more information on the closure of Good to Go in San Diego and to book an appointment before their closure, visit their website: goodtogosd.com and click "Book Your Appointment."
California Highway Patrol Special Investigations Unit
- If you witnessed a freeway road rage incident, or have any information that could help, contact CHP Special Investigations Unit at (858) 293-6000.
- You may file a complaint with the IC3 if you believe you have been the victim of an Internet crime or if you want to file on behalf of another person you believe has been such a victim.
Ways to help Afghan refugee families:
- Kelly fell off a stage during the Rams parade and fractured her spine
- Local educational agencies (LEAs) must insure that children and youth experiencing homelessness are able to participate fully in school activities, and that barriers to identification, enrollment, and retention in school are identified and removed.
- Here in California, the official number of homeless students has dropped dramatically since the pandemic began: a trend that has homeless advocates greatly concerned.
- The La Mesa Assistance program helps eligible households that have a past due mortgage or rent balance who reside in the City of La Mesa.
- The San Diego LGBT Community Center is excited to welcome LGBTQ identifying artists to share their artwork/s on the walls of the newly-renovated welcome lobby and main floor in Hillcrest!
- Love Your Heart is an annual event in which organizations from across the U.S. and Mexico join together to provide free blood pressure screenings to the public on or near Valentine's Day.
- In February 1945, the U.S. Army sent 855 black women from the Women’s Army Corps (WACs) to England and France to clear the backlog of mail in the European Theater of Operations. The 6888th Central Postal Directory Battalion, known as the Six Triple Eight, was the only all-black female battalion to serve in Europe during WWII. They were never fully recognized…until now.
- Three young men and a teenager were arrested for the fatal shooting of a 14-year-old boy in the Mount Hope neighborhood. Erick Balanzar, the 14-year-old victim, died at a hospital.
- San Diego Community Power (SDCP) is a local provider of electricity that will serve our communities by bringing you cleaner energy at competitive rates.
- San Diego History Center has two new exhibits that celebrate and honor San Diego's rich Black history and local heroes
- The website has been set up to help the family with expenses and meals.
- "STEP builds financial self-sufficiency among junior active duty enlisted members, recently discharged enlisted Veterans and their families facing financial crisis through counseling, education, and grants."
McAlister Institute offers low-cost aid for people struggling with substance abuse
- File a service request with USPS if your order for free at-home COVID tests is denied due to "duplicate addresses."
- The federal government’s website to order free coronavirus test kits is active and accepting orders.
- Because of expected high demand, each household can only have four tests shipped to their residence.
- Beginning January 18th, 2022, children ages 5 and under can receive their very own library card featuring “Odi the Coyote” San Diego Public Library’s new mascot!
- How to spot a counterfeit respirator
- Find details on requirements to earn a permit to serve as a substitute teacher in California
- Site created to help SDUSHD recruit much-needed substitutes for the school district.
- Comprehensive Progress Report
- Full speech
- Donate your old tech to Computer 2 Kids
What you should do if you test positive with an at-home test and if you need to report it.
- New CDC guidance has reduced the recommended time for isolation and quarantine periods to five days.
- A San Diego teenager's non-profit organization grew up, but so did he. The teen needs your help continuing a legacy of giving when he heads off to college.
Where to find legitimate COVID tests
Amid COVID test scams, here are some resources to help you find a COVID test in person or online that is FDA approved:
- SeaWorld® San Diego is offering a complimentary 2022 Teacher Fun Card to all certified K-12 Southern California and Arizona credentialed school teachers.
- A fire at Stratton Apartments in San Diego displaced three families. A GoFundMe is looking to help all three families which include several children.
- Flight status, arrival time and departure time
- The San Diego Chamber of Commerce offers several unpaid internships within our International Business Affairs, Marketing & Events, Membership, and Public Policy departments on a rolling basis.
- Tens of thousands of Afghan refugees arrived in the U.S. this fall with nothing but the clothes on their backs, looking for a new start. And San Diegans have stepped up in a big way not only to welcome them, but to provide them with the essentials they need.
- If needed, sandbags are available at specified recreation centers. Sandbags are limited to 10 bags per City of San Diego household or business, and sand is not provided.
- Use the interactive map to find a County of San Diego free diagnostic testing site near you.
- Who is exempt from wearing a mask?
- Feeding San Diego is hosting free large-scale drive-through food distributions in various regions across San Diego County.
- Founded in 2008, the mission of Good Neighbor Project is to offer hands-on education, employment supports, and other events and activities that build life skills and improve the quality of life for inner-city youth and families in communities in and around the bay of San Diego.
- The Treasurer-Tax Collector's Office has many refunds to return to San Diegans! Search for your name on this list.
- Andru has started a nonprofit,# Clarkesupport LLC, submitting already the 501(c)(3) to the IRS for federal tax exempt status, to help cover the medical bills that have already started to accumulate and all the future expenses of his disability.
- USD's Clare Boothe Luce's program creates programs to encourage women and underrepresented minorities to pursue careers in STEM.
- The County of San Diego Independent Redistricting Commission (IRC) is redrawing the boundaries for the County’s five supervisorial districts.
- Plan C is a web-based guide to getting abortion pills and self-managed abortion in the United States.
- The County of San Diego has declared medical misinformation a public health crisis and is working to create a space to help you get accurate and reliable information from credible sources.
Flu or COVID vaccine: Scheduling an appointment through CA My Turn
- Children ages 5-11 can now receive the Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine.
- Scholastic Surf Series had its equipment trailer stolen Nov. 22 and a GoFundMe is raising money to help them continue their program. SSS promotes the sport of surfing thru a middle school and high school surf team format.
- A map that guides you to the only 21 lesbian bars in the U.S.
- Find the top gas stations and cheap fuel prices in San Diego
- Mast cell tumor treatment with a single injection
- Mobile emergency alert devices & first responder dispatch apps for medical alert systems. Contact help and family with one button.
- Alcohol and drug rehab facility in San Diego
- "The BitConnect scheme is believed to be the largest cryptocurrency fraud ever charged criminally." Prosecutors are seeking information from additional possible victims through a questionnaire.
- "Instructions for locating and modifying the privacy preferences on many commonly used TV streaming devices and smart TVs and to limit digital advertising data collection on these devices to the extent that the device’s manufacturer will allow."
- Formerly known as South Bay Community Services, SBCS is an organization that offers support services to anyone that needs it. The group says youth homelessness in San Diego is a much bigger problem than most people realize.
- Apply for the Woman Veteran decal for the Honoring Veterans License Plate
- For the first time ever in the state of California, women veterans will be recognized with their very own license plate
Stories Behind the Stars: A tribute to the Fallen WWII Americans
More than 400,000 Americans lost their lives in World War II and all of them had stories worth saving and sharing
- More than 3,000 people participated in the event on Nov 7. There is still an opportunity to donate and help support breast cancer research.
Business Complaints: Ways you can formally file a complaint against a business:
- NBCCEDP provides breast and cervical cancer screenings and diagnostic services to low-income, uninsured, and underinsured women across the United States.
National Domestic Violence hotline: 1-800-799-SAFE (7233)
GoFundMe:13-year-old Vista student who died
- Rady Children’s understands the importance of mental health as a crucial part of the health of the whole child.
- The system strives to ensure that County residents have access to quality service and support
- How to help survivors of relationship and sexual violence
- Help keep your community clean! Adopt-A-Highway needs your help to bring it to the next generation of Californians.
GoFundMe: Steven Krueger Ocean Beach Memorial Fund
- The Mortgage Assistance program helps eligible households that have past due mortgage balances who reside in the City of La Mesa
- The Children's Nature Retreat has been hit hard by the pandemic and reduced income from less visitors and is in need of help
- How to report if you find any tar balls on San Diego beaches
- San Diego kidney donor launches nonprofit to help others with cost of organ donation
- Locations in San Diego County where flu vaccines are available
- Influenza sickening more San Diegans this season
- Poway Unified is looking to fill several roles in the district
GoFundMe: Courtney and Cody - Fire Relief Fund
GoFundMe: Help Maria and Phil Rebuild Their Life
- Chicano Federation has been at the forefront of promoting equity for aspiring communities during this year of unprecedented crises.
GoSidneyGo: No Regrets Tour
- Honoring World War II veteran Sidney Walton who passed away at 102 years old
- San Diego County site that answers claims related to COVID-19 using credible sources to verify the information
- Tenants in California have certain protections from eviction under state law, as well as under local laws in some cities and counties.
- Provides a "one-stop-shop" for renters, gathering together all the financial and legal assistance available to local tenants in San Diego
- The City of San Diego in partnership with The San Diego Foundation is pleased to provide the Small Business and Nonprofit Relief Fund
- Low-interest loans for low-income residents in San Diego County hoping to purchase an electric vehicle
- Family Justice Center provides confidential, comprehensive services to anyone who has experienced domestic violence, family violence, elder abuse, sexual assault, or sex trafficking
- The mission at Center for Community Solutions is to end relationship and sexual violence by being a catalyst for caring communities and social justice.
- Conservation classes, programs and rebates
- Mission of enhancing the quality of life in City Heights by working with our community to create and sustain high quality housing, livable neighborhoods, and economic self-sufficiency.
Where's My Ballot?: Track your ballot and when it's been counted through the Secretary of State.
U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development: Tenant rights, laws and protections in California
Hillcrest LGBTQ+ Historic Context Statement Survey: The City of San Diego is looking for residents to share thoughts regarding the draft Hillcrest LGBTQ+ Historic Context Statement. The draft can be found here. To learn more about what a historic context statement is and how it is used click on the "Historic Preservation" tab.
Information on Gun Violence Restraining Orders in San Diego: a life-saving tool created by California’s “red flag” law to prevent predictable acts of gun violence.
Stand With Us-Supporting Israel And Fighting Antisemitism Around The World.
National Association of Hispanic Real Estate Professionals and San Diego Housing Commission Affordable For-Sale Housing Program
Good To Go San Diego: STI and HIV free testing
Listos California: A campaign to help diverse and vulnerable communities with emergency preparedness
Campaign One At A Time: A non-profit organization focusing on helping children impacted by life-threatening illnesses around the globe.
The Trevor Project is the leading national organization providing crisis intervention and suicide prevention services to lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer & questioning (LGBTQ) young people under 25.
Taste & Flavor Book: A cook book to inspire those experiencing changes in taste and smell as a result of COVID.
Notario Fraud - California State Bar Association
Asian Moms San Diego: A Facebook group dedicated to helping Asian mothers and their children.
Stop AAPI Hate-Report hate crimes and incidents against Asian Pacific Islanders
Honor Flight San Diego: Search for WWII and Korean War veterans to experience a trip of a lifetime.
Toward Maximum Independence: If you're interested in becoming a foster family
Project Mercy Baja: The mission of Project Mercy is to construct solid and secure houses and improve the quality of life for impoverished families in Mexico
Free cookbook to help those who lost taste and smell due to COVID-19
Homes for our Troops - Non-profit building customized adaptable homes for veterans at no cost through donations.
California's COVID-19 Rent Relief will help income-eligible households pay rent and utilities, both for past due and future payments.
San Diego for Every Child, a nonprofit coalition housed under Jewish Family Service of San Diego, will distribute direct, unconditional monthly cash payments that can be spent on immediate needs to participants in the project.
OpenGym San Diego: OpenGym is a creative collective focused on building sustainable ecosystems of change within communities through the power of hospitality.
City of Chula Vista’s Emergency Rental Assistance Program: helps eligible households in the City of Chula Vista who have been financially impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic.
Oceanside Homeless Resource: A nonprofit that bridges community resources to build programs & solutions for folks experiencing homelessness.
Girls Inc. Of San Diego County: Inspiring all girls to be strong, smart, and bold
Voices of the Unheard Project: Uplift, amplify and bring awareness to under-represented voices and communities.
Senior Gleaners of San Diego County: Provide quality food otherwise wasted to those needing it the most.
Sultans Forever: A Facebook page for survivors of the deadly 2001 Santana High School shooting
Gordon-Zuckor Memorial Scholarship established by the Santee-Lakeside Rotary Club. Randy Gordan and Bryan Zuckor were gunned down in the 2001 Santana High School shooting.
San Diego pays it forward: Larry Himmel Foundation is paying it forward to restaurants and wait staff in San Diego.
Armed Services YMCA San Diego: Help struggling military families
U.S. Small Business Administration | Application for Paycheck Protection Program
Project Wildlife: Contact Project Wildlife if you see a fox and they appear injured and/or are not scared of humans, which also may indicate there’s a problem.
San Diego Latino Health Coalition: ¡Protéjase a usted mismo y a los demás!
The San Diego Medical Reserve Corps (MRC) is a community-based group of local medical and health workers who can serve as volunteers during a local health emergency.
Alzheimer's San Diego: Helping families today, finding a cure for tomorrow
Up2SD - It's Up to Us San Diego - The It’s Up to Us campaign is designed to empower San Diegans to talk openly about mental illness, recognize symptoms, utilize local resources and seek help.