Fire races through home in Rancho Penasquitos - CBS News 8 - San Diego, CA News Station - KFMB Channel 8

Fire races through home in Rancho Penasquitos

Posted: Updated:

RANCHO PENASQUITOS (CBS 8 /CNS) -  An electrical fire broke out in a Rancho Penasquitos home Tuesday, leaving two people displaced but no one was injured.

The couple who owns the home, who were inside at the time, were unaware of the fire until some quick-thinking neighbors frantically pounded on their front door. 

"When I looked, I saw the fire and we got out. Two or three guys came in and said - don't take anything, just go out - and that's what we did," said Irma Pimental, the homeowner. 

Firefighters responded to reports of a fire around 5:30 p.m. at 9170 Newmont Drive, but had trouble getting inside the house, said Capt. Joe Amador of the San Diego Fire-Rescue Department.

"It took a long time to get to the feed of the fire (because of the) amount of items in the house," Amador said.

The blaze took firefighters about 90 minutes to extinguish because "things kept lighting off," Amador said.

A preliminary investigation found the fire was accidental, though investigators were not able to determine where it started, Amador said.

The fire caused about $300,000 in damage to the main structure, $150,000 in damage to contents inside the home and another $5,000 in damage to neighboring buildings, Amador said.

Check back for updates. 

Powered by Frankly
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2017 Midwest Television, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.