SAN DIEGO (CNS) - Petco Animal Supplies should compensate the father of a 10-year-old Santee boy who died after contracting an infectious disease from a pet rat that his grandmother bought him, the family's lawyer told a San Diego civil jury Wednesday.
An attorney for Petco countered in her opening statement that the company hands out literature that warns of the bacteria that the rodents might carry.
The lawsuit was brought by Andrew Pankey, whose son Aidan died on June 12, 2013, at Rady Children's Hospital, just over two weeks after his grandmother purchased a male rat for her grandson at the Petco store in Carmel Mountain Ranch.
Plaintiff's attorney Bibianne Fell told jurors that Petco sold rats with the rare disease - called "rat-bite fever" - and as a result, Aidan Pankey died.
Petco buys its rats from a supplier, in this case Barney's Pets, and the rats don't show any signs of having the disease, Fell said. The attorney said the initial symptoms of "rat bite fever" are flu-like, and the illness is often misdiagnosed.
Fell said Petco had the knowledge that "rat bite fever" can lead to death.
She listed 16 other people since 2003 - including some children - who got very ill after contracting the disease.
"Petco is still selling rats to kids and kids are still getting sick," Fell told the jury.
Fell said Petco didn't tell customers that it was willing to test rats for the disease before they were sold as pets.
The attorney said a warning on a customer brochure about RBF was not in a place where people would see it.
Petco attorney Kimberly Oberrecht called the case a "sad and tragic situation."
"There are risks with owning any pets," Oberrecht said.
She told the jurors they would have to determine if Petco sold a defective product, and whether the company acted reasonably when it found out Aidan died of the infectious disease.
Oberrecht said RBF is a very rare disease which is very treatable with antibiotics.
"This is not an epidemic," the attorney said.
Oberrecht said Aidan liked to kiss his rats and bathe with them. She said the boy wasn't bitten and must have gotten the disease from saliva or some other way.
An attorney for Barney's, Christopher Faenza, said his client - which distributes 80,000 rats a year to stores for sale - followed industry protocol and didn't violate any laws.
The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency Tuesday awarded $326,776 in grants to groups that will manage and monitor waste, including sewage spills, along the U.S.-Mexico border.
An 11-year-old girl broke free from a would-be kidnapper Tuesday in Jamul, suffering a minor injury to an arm.
Flames engulfed parts of a two-story home early Wednesday morning in San Diego's Pacific Highlands Ranch neighborhood, prompting evacuations from nearby homes as firefighters battled the blaze, authorities said.
People from both sides of the gun debate spoke out Tuesday afternoon in front of the Del Mar Fairgrounds Board of Directors.
The green light was given Tuesday to a South Bay redevelopment project that has been in the works for years.
A caravan of around 400 men, women and children arrived at a shelter in Tijuana on Tuesday as part of an annual caravan of migrants from Central America.
An Escondido man who killed a friend after challenging the victim to a fight, then posted sounds of the victim crying during the attack on a social media site, was convicted Tuesday of first-degree murder.
In an effort to crackdown on bike thefts throughout the city, San Diego police are expanding their Bait Bike Program.